Parapet wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning - My rear addition is 4 stories high and has a sloping roof. At the high end of the roof there is a parapet wall that's about 8 courses of bricks high. I've removed the chimney stack and made good the damage so the wall at one end is only 2 courses of bricks high. The rest of the parapet wall badly needs re-pointing so my question is - Can I just bring the whole parapet wall down to 2 courses of bricks? This would save me re-pointing and I can re-use the bricks in the garden.

Does the parapet wall have a purpose which would stop me lowering it?

Many thanks,
Josh

Sponsored Links
A modern parapet wall will have a dpc running through it but this usually sits a course above or at the flashing chase. There may be a stepped cavity tray too depending upon where the parapet is located.

There may be architectural reasons why the parapet is set at the height it is but for practical reasons it need only be a few courses above the flashing chase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back