Narrow pillars, cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help with my question? A garden building will have one-block-wide, 2m high narrow pillars between tall windows, supporting a flat roof. The wall is insulated brick/block cavity. What is the correct way to build the pillars, for adequate strength, without joining them at the window reveals? Will two leaves with metal ties be robust enough, with pillars that narrow? They will be connected with lintels at the top, which will in turn support another three courses of brick as a parapet.

[Edit] Thinking about it the window sill height is 500 so there's only 1500 height, maybe will be OK and worrying too much

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ta. Even when they are only one block wide with a window each side? Great :)

Sponsored Links
Isn't there a minimum width of masonry between two openings, as per diagram 14 on page 27 of Approved Doc. A?

P.31 in the online version I see. As I read it, our windows are 750 wide, so P2 (a typical bit of wall between them) should be greater than or equal to (750+750)/5. (5 is from Table 8. 1500/5 is 300, which is smaller than the width of one block. So we're OK assuming all other conditions in the diagram and the notes are met

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back