parapit wall and coping stones.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

First of all thank you for looking at this thread, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have just finished renovating a house and we are having problems with leaks. We have put a second floor roof terrace above the first floor bedrooms. The walls are cavity walls. My builder has told me that there is one tray in the wall angled back 45 degrees to the drip points. The top coping stones theoretically close the cavity wall.

The floor of the roof terrace is made up of several layers of ply and insulation with a fall to the rear and to the side gulleys. The roof covering is a rubber membrane (retinol?) which goes about 150mm up the wall. On top of that prior to putting the decking frame down we put a very thick layer of rubber down prior to putting the frame on it.

The render is k rend and extends down past the vertical bit of retinol going up the wall by about 2 inches.

As far as I am concerned the roof has always leaked and never been watertight as there were always patches of damp on the ceilings below the terrace.

Building control asked us to trim back the deck as they thought that the rain might be splashing up inbetween the vertical rubber membrane and the k rend. I did this and the gulleys are now exposed and the deck is now about 200m clear of the walls. To be safe the builder silicone between the k rend's lower sill and the rubber membrane.

We have also applied storm dry to the coping stones and it is still leaking.

The clamps for the glass balustrade were drilled in and epoxied in place and go into the inner blockwork.

Any info would be appreciated.

I have thought the following:

The building control drawings show that the cavity is closed by blockwork. The builder did not do this but assures me that he put a dpm across the two sides under the coping stone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. photos attached.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back