Parking car/van on a manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My next project is to reposition the gate in my front garden.
This gate is not the by the foot path, its by the gable side of the house, and allows access to my rear garden.

I wish to reposotion it so that i could fit a larger size car directly on my driveway in the front garden hence would need to set the gate back further by about 1 meter.

The concern i have is if i move it to the new proposed location, it would be mean that one of the front wheels of a vehicle would most definatley sit on a manhole cover.

Im unsure if this is safe over the long run, i know some manhole covers promise 5 tonne and over strength capacity but as its not something ive done before im not sure if it would hold over the years?

Would welcome your advice please

Sponsored Links
What type of cover is fitted to the manhole? If not sure, post a pic and we should be able to tell more. I'd also be noting size and depth of the chamber, if it's a Public sewer and the Water Company want to gain access, they may not be too impressed about a caravan on top of it.

Hi Hugh,

Many thanks for your reply,

Its a brickbuilt chamber and very old, approx 1meter deep, and has only my property wast going into it.

Its has a square iron cover it, again very old.

I hope to get some pictures a but later for you, hopes the above helps meanwhile,
thanks again

Old cast covers can/will crack very easily, so I'd be mindful of putting any additional weight on top of it, at least without looking at providing some method of spreading that weight, e.g. a couple of 3x2 paving slabs or suchlike.

Sponsored Links
You can buy different rated covers 5, 10 or 20 ton and should be compatible in size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back