New build is nine manholes and counting excessive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of buying a new build property and am rather concerned that on inspection of the house today I have discovered at least 9 manholes.

There are 4 in the front garden; its a v front garden small. One is directly embedded in the path the other 3 are all spread over the garden.

Two on the drive; perfectly reasonable.

And a further 2 in the backgarden.

There are some smaller covers but also visible (3) but I am not sure if these are temporary as they seem to cap off orange pipes.

Checking upon the neighbours property's they have 1 or 2. It seems like my property has inherited the streets drainage. I was not informed of these when I initially reserved the property. I am not too happy about it as they are ugly and I don't really know if having these manholes means that I am responsible for the neighbouring sewage or have to provide access.

I intend to speak to my solicitor tomorrow - but was hoping to get some advice - points to note before talking to him.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By that description the property has the main drainage for the street coming together under the garden. Good news is it should be the Water Co.'s responsibility to look after said drains, bad news is the chambers wont be moveable (bear in mind if you ever wished to extend), Water Co. may be frequent visitors to inspect/work on their assets, (they will likely have right of access 24/7), and if it's at the bottom of a hill then you could get an awful lot of water passing through....

It would be prudent to ensure said drainage is to be or has been adopted by the Water Co. prior to purchase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back