New Manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Appreciate any help and advice that anyone can give.

We are renovating a property at the moment and want to put a downstairs toilet in.

The toilet will be at the rear of the property. The stackpipe for the upstairs bathroom runs nowhere near where the loo is going to go so I need to direct the waste directly to the manhole in the back garden - simple - My problem is that we don't have a manhole in our back garden.

Our neighbours each side have one so I know that the sewer runs accross my back garden (and it shows this on the plans).

Can anyone let me know if there any regs we need to consider before putting a manhole in, any problems we may encounter etc. Also importantly, roughly the cost for having this work done. This is a job that I would want to get help in for...

Many thanks for any comments

Sponsored Links
Building regs are required for this type of work.

Firstly how deep are the drains?

If They are within say 700mm then it will be fairly straightforward provided there are no other 'interferences'.

A large hole will need to be dug to accommodate both the pipe cutting and the chamber itself. For this we would normally hire a micro digger. the spoil will probably fit in a mini skip.

A preformed 450mm plastic chamber bottom with risers are what we would use up to a certain depth. These can be 'grafted' in using fernco type couplings.

I would estimate a moderate depth chamber would cost £850-1100 provided the making good is not too elaborate.

Doing it yourself will cost less but the drainage products will cost £150+.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back