Foul drain & manhole re-positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Looking for some helpful advice.

I've attached a pdf of our proposal (please note, the pdf is out of date and the existing house has return corners at both ends!)

My question is: We need to re-locate the manhole in our garden which takes waste from both our adjacent properties. The existing is a brick manhole and we will be switching to plastic as part of the build over agreement. The aim is to move it as far "North" as possible to allow us to re-apply with a deeper side extension.

It has been suggested that we could route the foul coming in from the left at the point which it enters our garden to a new manhole located to the rear of the new extension. Given that our garden steps down 380mm this means building the garden ground level up i suspect.
If we introduce a bend then we require a manhole before and after and therefore this solutions isn't actually possible as the manhole before the bend would be inside the footprint of the new extension.

We ideally want to eeek out another 500mm and move the back like of the side extension further back.

Does anyone have any suitable solutions?

We have tried to find an architect who might be helpful but i'm finding they are tending to want to leave the 'detail' down to the builder which i'm not happy with.

The council require us to make a building application with them before they become helpful, but were are not quite ready to commit as of yet.

Additionally, is anyone aware of a build over detail using a raft foundation? I have one for a standard trench fill were the void is bridged over with a lintel, but never done of with a raft.

Your help is very much appreciated :)

Attachments

• foul.pdf
    154.1 KB · Views: 150
Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that you will need agreement of the sewer/water authority for this and they will require a minimum 500 clearance from the manhole to any new foundation. The only way I see this happening is to change the line of the sewer from the left boundary - with a 10 degree bend - pushing the manhole further away. You would also then need to change the line of the other incoming and also the line of the outflow - both of which involves excavating your neighbours garden. You might or might not achieve agreement for this?

Otherwise, bring the rear dining room wall back a bit.

Jeds,

Absolutely will need a build over agreement.

I take on board your point of installing a bend on the left hand boundary. That is what i had in mind.
However i don't understand why i would need to change the line of the outflow? The manhole position is fixed at the other side so i simply run the run to the existing (now moved) manhole position?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you could do that. Make an app to the sewer authority and see what they will agree to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back