Parking (Dropped Curb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area ......G/Manc
You need planning permission to lower a curb an like any other planning application , your neighbours can say NO ..
once you have planning regs you can issue the works through the council direct works or get a builder to do the job .. my drinking mate told me the council wanted £2057 to drop 4 kerbs, taking 2 away an having 2 semi-reduced kerbs at each end ..
a lad in the pub , did it for £670 for him , he had to have building officers to check the job standard after it was done ..

In his deeds he now has road access to the property an NO car is allowed to park/obstruct on his land ...the legal access to his land !!

Sponsored Links
The borough of barnet
http://www.barnet.gov.uk/index/transport-streets/parking/controlled-parking-zones.htm
Other restrictions
Footway Parking Prohibition parking on footways (including footway crossovers), verges, island and refuges, kerb build-outs, and any part of the highway that is not carriageway is prohibited anywhere in London unless signs and markings specifically permit it.

Is this correct? I mean, for those of us on the odd visit to a borough we tend to copy the locals and footway park a couple of wheels... Thinking maybe tis allowed .. No signs, but actually allowed, not only save money but dissuade the law abiding visitor I suppose ....
:D :D

empip said:
The borough of barnet
http://www.barnet.gov.uk/index/transport-streets/parking/controlled-parking-zones.htm
Other restrictions
Footway Parking Prohibition parking on footways (including footway crossovers), verges, island and refuges, kerb build-outs, and any part of the highway that is not carriageway is prohibited anywhere in London unless signs and markings specifically permit it.
Interesting.

Ah well, somewhere I've got all the correspondence with the council, so if ever they start giving out parking tickets I'll be able to put them straight.

crafty1289 said:
I would like to know on a personal note as parking around the school gates when picking up the children is so difficult that you are forced to park across driveways albeit for a short time I always make sure i only park across an empty drive though.

Shouldn't have to drive the kids to school. Dont they have legs? Cant you walk to the school and pick them up? This does my head in. No wonder kids these days hate exersize and are overweight . . . Also, parents parking outside our house on a t-time, coming to pick up their kids. I mean, where do they live? There are at least 5 primary schools within 4 miles of our house - surely they could pick one closer to home?

I'm often coming home from work at 3:30pm, the busiest time. I often find cars parked across our driveway. I mean, where the b***** hell am i supposed to park? Cars line the street! I LIVE HERE FFS and the only way i can park is ILLEGALLY across someone else's drive! I wouldn't mind if they parked across next door's drive, HE DOESNT HAVE A CAR! But no, my driveway is 10 metres closer to the school! :evil:

Luckily we live at the quiet end of the school, the other gate is on a cul-de-sac, which gets stupidly congested when the school's kicking out.
It's not convenient to walk unfortunately otherwise of course i would, we are right on the boundary of the catchment for the school and to walk takes nearly half an hour, a lot of the time i am coming straight back from work to pick them up and therefore do not have the time to park at home and walk to pick them up.

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
In my area ......G/Manc
You need planning permission to lower a curb an like any other planning application , your neighbours can say NO ..
once you have planning regs you can issue the works through the council direct works or get a builder to do the job .. my drinking mate told me the council wanted £2057 to drop 4 kerbs, taking 2 away an having 2 semi-reduced kerbs at each end ..
a lad in the pub , did it for £670 for him , he had to have building officers to check the job standard after it was done ..

In his deeds he now has road access to the property an NO car is allowed to park/obstruct on his land ...the legal access to his land !!
Some time back there was a program on the box dealing with issues of law and seperating fact from fiction, the one about parking across a driveway was used and it was then stated that as long as the driveway was empty you were perfectly entitled to park across it as though the kerb was continuous, I don't mean parking on the drive itself but still on the road.
So has this been changed recently?

There seems to be nothing in the laws perused so far, obstruction is available to a police offocer. The rest appears to depend upon local byelaws.
Highway Code said:
217: DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop
anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users
in front of an entrance to a property
Looks like advisory as there is no quoted RTA.

http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Articles/parking/index.php

:(

countygardens
Diyisfun wrote:
Countrygardens, I hear where you are coming from, But I think you may have missed what I was saying, ie, by having a dropped curb you get 2 places.
The follow up of what you have said is if all have a dropped curb, then you should have a parking free road. Well we are not in the ideal world. I have just returned from Canada, where it is an offence to park on the road.

Sorry perhaps i didnt make it clear. What I meant was that if it bothers people that a dropped curb means two spaces then why dont they get a dropped curb themselves and have two spaces

Its like buying a property & knowing there is a bus stop outside, its there, you buy or not..When you move in & they want a bus stop (or dropped curd), its not what you bargained on.

empip...Thanks for the Barnet link as I live in Enfield, & I think what you have posted & the lines that council painted & between marker posts would mean you could park in across a dropped curb.

Be wary :-
Some tw at² Bath & NE Somerset said:
Parking and Dropped Kerbs

Parking on the road in front of a footway crossover/dropped kerb (that serves as a vehicle access) is illegal.
Click
Oh fiick it what a mish mash of c rap it has all become !!
:) :)

Diyisfun said:
countygardens
Diyisfun wrote:
Countrygardens, I hear where you are coming from, But I think you may have missed what I was saying, ie, by having a dropped curb you get 2 places.
The follow up of what you have said is if all have a dropped curb, then you should have a parking free road. Well we are not in the ideal world. I have just returned from Canada, where it is an offence to park on the road.

Sorry perhaps i didnt make it clear. What I meant was that if it bothers people that a dropped curb means two spaces then why dont they get a dropped curb themselves and have two spaces

Its like buying a property & knowing there is a bus stop outside, its there, you buy or not..When you move in & they want a bus stop (or dropped curd), its not what you bargained on.

I guess thats fair enough but we have had one done and in the long run eased the parking problems in our road because my other half has a car too and we can get 3 vehicles (at a push) on the drive and have only taken up one parking space worth by having it done, hence 1-2 space saving in our road. However the old biddy next door has a dropped curb and doesnt have a car so she is making the problem worse. Infact she does come out and have a moan if anyone stops infront of her drive for more than 30secs. Dumb old bint!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back