Parking Space Question: Help And Advice Please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here so I hope I get some good answers or tips...

I have excavated a 15 foot square out front to park a car or two on. Its eight inches deep levelling out to six inches in places, no less. I was going to loose a little crushed brick from a garden wall in it, after laying down some membrane, and then top it up with wackered type 1 to a level 6 inches all over.

So far so normal, I think? Anyway, the topping: What do you suggest to cover it, without it spreading about and disappearing down the street? Could I just edge the space with sleepers and then fill it right up with type 1 and call it a day?

Any advice please! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The plastic “ honeycomb “ sheets work well filled with slate/ gravel the design stops it spreading, have you had a dropped curb ?

I will have. The excavated space will be lined with sleepers, butting up to the public pavement. I did think about placing honeycomb sheets on top of the sub and then the decorative gravel. Just want to do it right, we've all seen crummy driveways and spaces, membrane poking through, etc. Not nice!

the honey comb sheets work very well, we have neighnors across the street whom have done excatly wht you wish, very little goes onto the public path, and you cant really see the plastic honeycombe sheets.

the honeycombe sheets give the drive some rigidity otherwise the stones get moved al over the place and you end up with uneven piles all over the place, it goes all over the street and it just looks pants.

Sponsored Links
Someone said to me 'fill it up with type 1 and that's it', but if you can do better...

The honey combe sheets sound like the best option, I've seen them before and they work. Like you say: rigidity and no ruts. Probably what Ill end up doing. Thanks for the tip

THere are the honeycomb type sheets in the car parking spaces in my local park, they have been there for years and still doing the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back