Parkside Belt Sander PBS900 A1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently on sale at Lidl with a three year warranty for £35, which is ridiculously cheap for a fairly powerful belt sander.
But, I wonder if they are any good or whether it is going to be going in the bin in a few months time.
Anyone got one that can comment on the quality? I’m not expecting something on par with Dewalt, but £35 is expensive, if it is a pile of junk.
TIA

Sponsored Links
standard belts 533x75 900w motor
looks like a good deal all lidles stuff i have used in past years [but not in the last 10]has been brilliant still have a 1/2 sheet random orbital sander about 25 years old that works well
as an aside consumables are usually rarely available from lidles but cheaper at lidles so stock up

Last edited:
I have a similar one although older. No complaints.
Keep the receipt

I like the fact that it can be used as a linisher with clamps that allow it to be fixed to a work surface

I have a similar one although older. No complaints.
Keep the receipt

I like the fact that it can be used as a linisher with clamps that allow it to be fixed to a work surface

indeed, which is exactly the reason I was looking at it. You’re the one I was looking at was the Makita orange, which is around £100 but good value for money compared to the professional tool which is over double the price. The benefit with this table is that it’s built like a tank and you can even get replacement bushes for it and so it will last a lifetime.
Need to have a debate with myself over which way to go.

Sponsored Links
indeed, which is exactly the reason I was looking at it. You’re the one I was looking at was the Makita orange, which is around £100 but good value for money compared to the professional tool which is over double the price.
If you need a 4 x 24in sander, then the Maktec M9400/Makita MT 9400 is certainly a bargain basement way to go:

Maktec M9400 4 x 24in Belt Sander.jpg

They are basically a slightly modifed, Chinese made version of the older Makita 9403 belt sander, but with what looks like the fan housing from the even older #9401, a 940 watt motor (instead of 1200 watts of the #9403) and is only single speed:

Makita 9403 4 x 24in Belt Sander.jpg

You can still get the #9403 (albeit at about £250). Belt sanders are relatively simple tools with little to go wrong on them (I still have two 4in belt sanders, a Bosch and a Kango) - the main things they can wear out are the pads under the base (generally a graphite sheet and a cork sheet, neither of these needs to be an OEM part as they are readily available and fairly cheap) and the brushes. The most important thing is to keep the belt tracking right and don't let it run sideways and cut into the aluminium frame.

But TBH do you have the use to justify getting one? They are brilliant tools for recovering recycled floor boards, sanding in scaffolding boards (especially if scaff plank furniture is your thing) and the like - I have sanded small floors with them and levelled wooden bar tops, neither of these tasks I'd have looked at with a 3in belt sander - but they are very aggressive for sanding anything, sometimes too aggressive because they are very, very fast

Interesting review here:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do buy a belt sander, maybe you'll want to join the local chapter of the BRSA...

the Belt Sander Racing Association (yes, really):

I have a Parkside, about 6 years old, works fine although it doesn't get a lot of use lately.

i used to be a member off the brsa but that was 28 years ago before i left the railway we called it "the club" not a sander in sight as it was the British Rail Staff association ;)

For years I wondered what the BRSA Club down in the cattacombs beneath Viccy Station (Manchester) was about - now I know. They were all racing belt sanders in their leisure hours! ;)

Be happy you were in the south east, B-A. We put up with Pacers until 18 months ago. Still, it's the North - and we should be happy with what we are given and not bite the hand that feeds us.... allegedly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back