Parquet crackling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have almost finished laying a reclaimed parquet floor in my living room. The blocks (9" x 2 3/4") are all coated with bitumen which I have removed where it is particularly thick. I have also scored the underside of most of the blocks. Advice was that it is not necessary to remove all the bitumen to make an effective bond. I laid (screwed down) a 9mm ply subfloor on top of the floorboards which are sound and even. The adhesive I used is Laybond L16 Woodbond from Screwfix.

So my problem is that walking on the floor produces crackling sounds - maybe not as bad as an earlier post I read here as I dont get the full rice crispy treatment of snaps and pops. The floor has been down more than 2 weeks and it does it when I first walk on it in the morning and then its ok...

Is this a problem? Will it eventually settle and be ok or will the bitumen/adhesive bond break down causing my floor to disintegrate and ruin my life? OK maybe thats being melodramatic, but I REALLY don't want to have to lift it, clean it again and go through the whole process one more time.

Any advice will be gratefully received, even if you tell me I need to start again :(

Thanks,
Martin

Sponsored Links
Hello Woodyoulike

Well the advice came from reading comments on this forum and other similar ones, and - maybe least credibly - the guy who sold me the blocks! I assume then that your advice is to rip it up and start again ( to quote Orange Juice)? What woes await me if I leave them in place? Is there a tool better than a shovel for lifting the blocks without causing too much damage and how on earth will I remove the combined pitch/glue gunk?!

Thanks for your speedy reply.
Martin

On this forum you would have read mostly it is highly recommended to remove as much bitumen as possible because any residue of bitumen effects the bonding time.
How did you apply the laybond, with a notched trowel?
When you knock on various blokcs, do they sound 'hollow', loose, echoing as if they're not bonded?

Sponsored Links
Hi again

I used a notched spreader as recommended on the adhesive tin. The blocks have certainly stuck to the floor - I just tried to prise some edge ones up with a flat jemmy and I think they might split. The crackling sounds are slight, but even across the floor - 30m. As I said, the floor is quiet after I have walked all over it until several hours later. I could probably live with it as it is and I guess there would be less flexing and so less crackling when the furniture goes back in. I just don't want to end up doing the whole thing again in a year's time - or ever!!

There are no hollow sounding blocks and I applied the adhesive to the floor (stabilised with PVA) not the back of the blocks.

Again, I appreciate your consideration and advice.

M

Then it could be just the floor "settling in". Keep en eye (in this case more an ear) on it for two weeks longer, it should stop.
If not, then your plywood might be causing the problem.

I sincerely hope so! It does seem to be improving, even over the last 48 hours. Once again, many thanks for your expertise.

Martin

Did you put anything such as underlay under the plywood. The slightest bit of grit under there will sound awfull. But it will eventually go to dust.

Good point. No underlay, but I kept everything clean when I was laying the ply and the blocks too. The ply did not complain in any way when I walked on it before laying the blocks. As I said, there does seem to be an improvement now that I am walking on it regularly. I basically laid it and went on holiday for 2 weeks. Fingers crossed it will settle ok.

Cheers,
Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back