PARQUET FLOOR QUESTIONS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just laid a reclaimed parquet floor (Teak blocks approx 1 inch thick, 9 x 3 inch size). Floor looks reasonable but before I sand it I have a couple of questions:-

1. There is a bit of variation in the height of the blocks so its going to need quite a bit of sanding. Maximum difference between highest and lowest block is probably 4 to 5 mm. Will a floor sanding machine from somehwere like HSS hire cope with this ? Whats the best approach ?

2. The floor looks reasonable but there are a few gaps between some blocks. Maximum gap is probably only a couple of mm. Where these gaps exist should I fill these with something ? If so what and when should this be done ?

3. Whats the best product to use on the floor (varnish etc)

4. If I wanted to get the floor professionally sanded and varnished is there anyone who could provide this service and how much would it cost. Approx size of floor is 10m2 (hallway around 10m long by 1m wide).

Thanks in advance

cost, please see 9

Sponsored Links
Hi Steverog.

For such a floor with the height differences I recommend this company. They have professional sanders, deliver to you and tell you tricks of the trade.

Use the sanddust from the second sanding with woodfiller to 'plaster' the floor and fill the gaps. The third sanding will remove ane excess filler.

Teak can be oiled, but the first layer has to be very thin (teak is more dense than oak and doesn't take up much oil at once). But oil gives the best results (in my opinion).
Use Osmo thin oil, followed with Osmo HardWaxoil for the second layer.

Floor Sander Hire did my lounge, dining room and bedroom (all softwood boards) and made an excellent job of it.

Much easier than hiring a sander from HSS and doing it yourself.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

Just to be clear - they will hire you the sanders on their own, but I chose to have them do all the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back