parquet flooring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My apologies for the long list of help I need here. My husband and I are refurbishing the house he grew up in. There is parquet flooring on the whole first floor, but it has been covered by carpet for so many years, that there are a few problems.

Problem 1:The hall seems in generally good condition, but in the 2 heavy traffic areas, the tiles move slightly when you step on them. They are not loose enough to lift out, however. Also, on those same areas, they are black from the backing of the carpet. It does scrub off with a lot of hard work though. Is there an easy way to get glue under the parquet without lifting it and a good product to remove the black stuff without damaging the finish?

Problem 2: living room. Again, the backing of the carpet has made it very dirty, but in a different way to the hall. It's hard to describe, but it's like some sort of deep embedded dust from a crumbly old backing. I have scrubbed a few tiles with various household cleaners and a stiff brush, but it takes at least 15 minutes per tile and a lot of kitchen roll to remove the dirt. It's so dirty I still can't tell for certain if it has the same semi-glossiness as the hall, but the colour seems the same. Is there an easier way to clean this, such as a special product of buffing machine?

Problem 3: The dining room has the same parquet floors, but they do not appear to have ever been finished, except for at the edge. The finished area is a lighter colour to the hall and living room. Can I find a varnish colour that will blend with the hall and avoid sanding the entire first floor?

Is there any way to rememdy all the problems without completely sanding and refinishing? I'm concerned with cost, dust (husband has asthma) and ruining the tiles if I botch the job.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Hi Jo70

I presume your parquet flooring has been installed using bitumen. In the long run this turns brittle - i.e. blocks come loose from the underfloor. Also I think your blocks have T&G, so lifting one loose block will definitely loosen others.
No quick solution here (or you could try to squired some PVAC wood glue - more liquid than parquet adhesive underneath it in a place where there is a gap? and place some weight on top of it).

Everything else sounds like your floors have a lot of cumulated dirt and rubber backing on it. Sanding this straight away will only clog up the sanding paper, meaning you'll be forever changing paper.

Best thing I can advice is to try white spirit in a corner behind a door to see if that works more quicker than cleaning products. If that's the case you can 'clean' the whole floor this way. After that you will be able to see and decide what kind of finish was used and if a new layer is needed or that the floor just needs a bit of TLC with maintenance products.

Hope this helps

you can get a latex injection kit. basically its a large syringe that you fill with a latex glue (very runny), You then drill very small holes through the floor and inject the glue which runs into all the voids under the floor. Leave to dry and then fill the small holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back