Parquet Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little advice required - I'm going to attempt to lay parquet flooring for the first time. The battons I have are brand new 14mm cherry. I want to lay herringbone as my pattern. I'm doing a front room floor. The base of the floor is concrete but as 1950's bungalow there are marley tiles on the floor. Will I need to remove these first? Alternatively they are really sound should I just leave and parquet over the top. Also whilst i'm hear is it best to start in the middle of the floor like I have done previously when using ceramic tiles or should I start at the edge?

Sponsored Links
Don't think marley tiles will bond perfectly with the adhesive (not absorbent enough).

As for starting: yes a herringbone pattern you best start in the middle of the room.

To take up the marley tiles it leaves what looks like bitumen on the concrete floor.
will the adhesive i need to put down the floor, stick to this black bitumen or has that got to be cleaned of
If it does have to come of what can i use

Bitumen and modern adhesive don't agree with each other I'm afraid.
You'll have to either remove the bitumen or screed over it - make sure you use a product that does that properly - Mattysupra is the expert on that

Sponsored Links
thank you for your advice

Is it ok to screed straight on top of the bitumen
Should i use some sort of self leveling compound
how thick does the screed need to be
I am abit worried about the height the floor is going to finish up with screed and 14mm flooring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back