Part of ceiling collapsed

For the most part this went smoothly. There were two hiccups.

One was the 15mm plasterboard I ordered from a company called Building materials: http://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/. They sent 12.5mm. After they failed to respond to my emails, we made endless phone calls on their expensive telephone number and they eventually delivered the right stuff.

As our puppy has a penchant for chewing through electric cables, I needed cordless drill to replace my 30 year old B&D cabled hammer drill.

I had a bad start with this drill as the battery charger was faulty. Wickes exchanged it without any problems for another one.

This one charged OK but was unable penetrate brickwork of our Victorian house, which my 30 year old corded electric drill has no trouble with.

I used it to drill holes for 3" screws through some soft wood (used for palettes). The screw going into the chuck sheared off.

It was at this point I realised this was not the drill for me and returned it. Wickes were very good about the refund.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
My first job was to secure the existing ceiling. This I did by screwing dry wall screws into the laths and joists. As the ceiling was uneven I found I needed a variety of different length screws. I painted over the screws with an oil based paint to prevent rusting. I then sealed in the existing plaster using Wickes deep filler (upto 50mm).

I traced round the hole using grease proof paper. I then transferred the paper to the plasterboard. Using the drywall saw I purchased via Ebay, I was able to cut out the exact shape I needed.

As I was doing this by myself I built a frame to hold the plasterboard in position.

I was then able to screw the plasterboard in position with a small gap running round the perimeter.

This gap I filled with Wickes deep filler.

This leaves 3mm which I can skim plaster over, bringing it up to the same level as the existing ceiling (not yet done).

You're in the wrong job mate. Love it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back