Part P 17th, Smoke Alarms, Existing Circuits

This one has reared it's ugly head again.

To Recap: I have a CU with two spare ways which I need for a new ringmain and lighting circuit in the new garage conversion to an office.

Building inspector wants a smoke detector in the room adjacent to the garage, which is the room the CU is in, so the smoke detector would be about 2-3ft max from the CU.

I've discovered that the pre-existing smoke detectors are on their own dedicated 6A MCB, which is good news, however that circuit is not RCD protected.

The sparky I've been talking to about this still doesn't want to do it, he says because the pre-existing cabling is in the ceiling, by adding another smoke detector, the whole circuit including the pre-existing has to be compliant, and this means that circuit has to be RCD protected. Even if the new smoke is put in with armoured cabled or across the ceiling in visible conduit, he still says it's got to go onto an RCD because of the existing cables, and therefore I need a whole new CU. I even suggested moving the alarm circuit MCB across to the RCD side, but he wasn't even happy about that.

Conversely the building inspector says the regs can't make you redo all the old stuff.

Who is right?

I'm starting to lose patience with this, as it's holding up everything else.

Oh, and just to shut them both up, would it be possible to get a 6A RCBO to fit a 10yr old Ashley & Rock CU?

Sponsored Links
I take it then that the smoke alarm cable runs at some point in a wall less than 50mm from the surface?

that's the reason he's insisting on RCD protection..

tell him you're not paying for a new CU and that he has to move the smoke circuit to the RCD side..
the remaining way on the RCD side will be for power and lights in the office, simply put a 3A FCU into the ringmain and run the lights off of that..

Could he not just take the smoke circuit and move it across the RCD side and shuffle everything along, still leaving the two spare ways?

I would have thought this possible, even if it means a new bus bar, which is a couple of quid. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back