Individual RCBO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need to check the electrical requirements (17th addition and Part P) for RCBO's on a new kitchen extension.

Do all the different circuits i.e Ring Main, Cooker, Hob, Smoke/Fire Detectors, etc require their own individual RCBO? Or is one single RCBO (30ma 100Amp) supplying all circuits acceptable?

Sponsored Links
How are the new circuits being connected to the supply?

Via the existing consumer unit or a new one?

This is notifiable electrical work because these are all new circuits. Shouldn't you be asking your CPS registered electrician?
Or are you contemplating the DIY option?

Sponsored Links
New circuits will require RCD protection. There are ways to avoid it on some circuits, but it's unlikely that they will be used.
An RCBO for each circuit is the proper option.
Many installations have one or two RCDs covering multiple circuits, but I certainly wouldn't install that. Other people might.

Why does the kitchen require it's own lighting circuit?

This is notifiable electrical work because these are all new circuits. Shouldn't you be asking your CPS registered electrician?
Or are you contemplating the DIY option?
Yes I understand that the work needs to be notified to the council. Not something that I would undertake, just wanting to be knowledgeable about the requirements.

New circuits will require RCD protection. There are ways to avoid it on some circuits, but it's unlikely that they will be used.
An RCBO for each circuit is the proper option.
Many installations have one or two RCDs covering multiple circuits, but I certainly wouldn't install that. Other people might.

Why does the kitchen require it's own lighting circuit?

There are some 30 LED down lights on the lighting circuit.

So RCBO's for each circuit is the proper option, but may not be mandatory according to the electrical requirements, is that right?

Upgrade the old unit to a brand new one with either multiple RCD's or RCBO's.

You are in a very very small minority as the majority of sparks I know, or have seen the work of, think "split board" is the standard way to do it. FWIW, I agree that all RCBO is by far the better option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back