Part P a different slant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now that I have retired I no longer keep up my registration & so cannot sign off any work that is covered by the legislation, I am occasionally asked to do jobs not covered by part P, but was recently giving the matter some thought. My understanding is that if I advise a potential customer that I am not registered & that they will need to organise their own certification through their BCO then it is in order for me to carry out the work they request. However suppose they do not arrange inspections & lie to me, do I have a responsibility to check with BCO. I also make it clear they are taking the risks from an insurance point of view. I should also point out I am not taking the work from registered guys as I will only take on jobs for people who have not been able to get anyone else interested in carrying out small jobs(sparks are like hens teeth out in the sticks)

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure whether it is the person carrying out the work, or the householder that will be held responsible for not notifying, but if I were you, I wouldn't risk it. I would inform the customer that the fee is payable and add that to the quote, then I would notify the BCO myself and be there for the inspection. That way you can't be held responsible for carrying out notifiable work etc...

Sponsored Links
"am occasionally asked to do jobs not covered by part P,"

Don`t forget - all electrical installation works in a domestic (defined) premises is covered by Part P, but not all of it is notifiable though

ebee said:
"am occasionally asked to do jobs not covered by part P,"

Don`t forget - all electrical installation works in a domestic (defined) premises is covered by Part P, but not all of it is notifiable though
Yes sorry, should have said not notifiable under part p.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back