Part P and the death of home security...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know you're all sick of hearing Part P questions but as a home mover I was wondering about my new house.

Does it have an outside light?
Does it have a PIR security light round tha back?
etc etc.

If part P excludes Joe public from doing any wireing in the special case 'outside'. Then will that have a negative effect on all those nice security extras we add to our homes. I'm not gonna buy an outside PIR if it's gonna cost me an extra 200 quid to get it installed and inspected by a spark and the LABC.
Could this be the end of home security or a new growth in Low voltage outside appliances?

-Neil

Sponsored Links
depends on if part P is actually enforced on diyers ;)

neilsumner said:
Could this be the end of home security
external lighting is not home security.

Alarm companies are "home security" lighting which is operated by a pir is an electricians job. most alarm companies will offer to do it, but most i have seen havent got a clue.

alarm companies should dtick to what they are good at. installing alarms

My point I was trying to make was are people going to now go running to their local sparky with 200 notes in their hand in order to get an outside PIR light (which has allways been promoted as a security item), or just not bother.
I suspect the latter because they didn't really become popular until the price fell below about 80 quid.

-Neil

Sponsored Links
my suspician is that they will just fit them themslevel like they have always done

it all really depends on what part P becomes. will it be like corgi where everyone has heared of it or will it be like say FENSA which i have only ever seen mentioned on the vans of major double glazing companies and on certain forums.

only time will tell for sure if part P has any teeth but i stronly suspect it won't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back