Part P - complete rewire of existing domestic dwelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am very new to this forum and this is my first post - Hence I would be immensly grateful for all your replies. I am having my house renovated. I have a written contract with a builder who has subcontracted the rewiring work. The electrician confessed not to be registered with any governing body (e.g. NICEIC, NAPIT etc) and decided not to complete the job (he confessed he was going to get me a Part P certificate from his 'brother'. The Builder then subcontracted the completion to another electrician who is registered with a governing body. I been reading on the internet that sockets and wall switches should be between 45cm (min) and 120cm (max) above floor level. I have measured all the distances and they are out by approx 5cm through out the out. In the kitchen, the cables for the wall unit lights are running horizontally. He has wired up the outside security light to the wall switch of the kitchen spot lights (hence the security light is de-energised when the spot lights are off!). There is no spur/switch for this security light. Nor is there a spur for the ouside double socket. Some of the wall lights are permanently on and some are permanently off (regarless of switch position. I have tested these with a multimeter. Electrician is arguing there are no regulations about this and refusing to put in spurs/switches and correct the wall lights/switches. The builder tells me I will have to pay extra for this extra work. Please advise how best to tackle this - I am trying to avoid escalation of this problem.

Sponsored Links
You might like to remind the builder of his responsibilities in law, as defined by the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations - basically he can't just subcontract work to any incompetent w****r he likes.

The height for sockets and switches in a renovation is not usually so hard and fast as in anew-build. If Building Control are involved then your inspector might take a view, but in my experience they're not too concerned. The height issue is for disabled access, rather than for any purely electrical reason. I say all this as it could be something to drop from your list of issues with the builder.

As far as lights not working properly, you have every reason to withhold payment until it's fixed, the same with the outside light that's tied into the kitchen lights - it should be on it's own switch for isolation (not necessarily a fused spur). The outside socket doesn't have to have an internal switched spur (which is my interpretation of your comment). The cables for the wall unit lights can legitimately run horizontally if certain other criteria are met - not clear from your post if this is the case.

Wiring doesn't *have* to be done by someone in one of the recognised competent person schemes, but if not then the building inspectors have to come round at predetermined times during the work to inspect it - at a charge, of course, and depending on your contract with the builder I'd expect him to foot the bill for this as he arranged the electrical sub-contract.

From the sound of it all the wiring is now hidden behind plaster so a third party inspection will be of limited value in determining the work that's been done, but an outside viewpoint would be a good idea as, based on the things you've described, the quality of the whole job must be considered suspect.

PJ

Sponsored Links
What about RCD Protection has this been provided for the outside sockets etc.
And sorry did i read correctly you have some lights permantly on!! and your builder is saying this is alright/acceptable ?

The height of socket and switches are not an issue, it applies to new builds only not rewires.
Your light switches must function correctly, it's part of the test procedures.
The electrician/builder has a legal responsibility.
Looks like the guy does not know how to wire switches up.
horizontal cables are okay provided they are run in permitted safe zones.
I think everything else has been covered by above replies.

The height of socket and switches are not an issue, it applies to new builds only not rewires.
Your light switches must function correctly, it's part of the test procedures.
The electrician/builder has a legal responsibility.
Looks like the guy does not know how to wire switches up.
horizontal cables are okay provided they are run in permitted safe zones.
I think everything else has been covered by above replies.

Many thanks for all these useful replies - I now feel more confident about dealing with the builder and getting it all put right. I do know that the electrician is a member of NICEIC - if need be can i make a complaint directly to NICEIC or I can't I do this because the builder is paying him?
Thanks again.

You could also drop a line to your local trading standards office - what you have described doesn't sound like acceptable goods/services.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back