Qualified Electrician but not Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help i am a qualified electrician and have been for 40 years.I moved to work on the high voltage side of the syetem a few years ago so do not have part p .Iam completing a loft conversion under a full plans appplication .The lighting and power circuits will be extensions of the existing circuit and not notifiable .As for the bathroom light and extractor fan Part P that extra low voltage lighting CE marked and pre assembled with connectors are exempt does this mean they do not come under part As for the bathroom fan this will be outside the bathroom and just the vent inside the bathroom i am assuming this will classed as an extension to the lighting circuit

Comments Please ;)

Sponsored Links
1st comment:

Part P applies to all work on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

It applies to work which is not notifiable just as much as it does to notifiable work.

2nd comment:

The issues of what is or is not notifiable are irrelevant in your case, because you have notified the work. Which means that your LABC are aware of electrical work being done which comes within the scope of Part P.

So...

1st question:

When you submitted your application, what did you say, or what did you allow to be said on your behalf, or what LABC default assumption did you tacitly accept about what would be done to ensure that the electrical work will comply with P1?

I was refering to part p table 2 general guidence note k if this work is not notifiable then building control will not be involved .the fact Building Control have been notified under the full plans application does not make the work notifiable. :LOL:

the fact Building Control have been notified under the full plans application does not make the work notifiable. :LOL:
I say again - you have notified the building of this loft conversion to Building Control.

The electrical work is required to comply with Part P.

Compliance with Part P is mandated by law for all electrical work whether it is notifiable or not.

The electrical work may, or may not, have been notifiable in its own right, but that is irrelevant, because the work as a whole has been notified.

Sponsored Links
The bathroom work (despite what you have said) is notifiable - as its in a special location.

You may also need to make changes to the fuse board to ensure that all circuits have RCD protection - this is notifiable.

As you are not able to notify yourself you will need to provide the LA BC with all electrical test certs - you are doing this I presume?

Oh, just read your other post... so I guess you're not doing any testing then??? You may have to pay BC to do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back