Bathroom - Part P Notifiable or Not ?

I

iinfrquentuser

I am considering changing the light in my bathroom from a loop-in-ceiling rose approach to a junction box approach. The light/ceiling entry point is 226 cm above the floor and 30 cm outside the edge of the bath. Would this change in approach need Part P Notification ?

Also, as part of a general protection upgrade to my 2 lighting circuits (upstairs and downstairs) I am considering swapping the 2 MCBs currently in place for 2 appropriate, equivalent RCBOs. Would this swapping need Notifying under Part P ?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
The reason for changing to a junction box approach would be to make it easier to change light fittings : there are four cables running into the rose and space is often very tight in modern light fittings - so less space is required if most of the required connections are neatly made in the junction box in the loft instead.

The junction box will need to be accessible, but I'd keep with the loop in method if possible.

and all notifiable work.

Sponsored Links
Why would you keep to the loop in method if possible ? Also, why is changing to a junction box method Notifiable ? Is the location (226 cm high - 30 cm outside the bath) a "special location" ? Any explanation would help. Thanks.

Loop in requires less inaccessible junctions and by rights should be less prone to failure and more maintainable (although that sort of ignores the fact that most modern fittings dont provide adequate provision for loop in).

I suspect from your quoting of locations you've been reading about bathroom zones but for part P the bathroom is the bathroom, all of it. If you locate your JB in the ceiling and hence outside the bathroom you'd still have to disconnect and alter the circuit (rose) within the bathroom.

It isn't the whole of the bathroom either, it is only certain works (adding to the circuit etc) within the zones as defined by the 16th edn regs which is notifiable.

Under the 16th edn regs it is the location containing a bath or shower and the surrounding zones.
Additionally you weren't allowed to install certain items in the whole room such as socket outlets.

Yup you're right, for some reason had got it into my head that the whole of the Bathroom was a special location.

Doesn't even say that.

So

1) Almost certainly No
2) Probably Yes

Part P doesnt mention zones, it simply says "bathroom".
4. For the purposes of this Schedule—
“kitchen” means a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation
facilities;
“special installation” means an electric floor or ceiling heating system, an outdoor lighting or
electric power installation, an electricity generator, or an extra-low voltage lighting system
which is not a pre-assembled lighting set bearing the CE marking referred to in regulation 9 of
the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994; and
“special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath,
a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth
edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards
Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back