Light fittings in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently bought an old house. Had all the wiring signed off and a safety certificate issued prior to purchase.

Trying to get my head around Part P and how it now applies. In the bathroom I have very high ceilings, 250 - 270 cm high. Am I right in thinking that any light fitting on the ceiling would therefor be outside of any zones and fully changeable by me, and be no-notifiable?

At the moment there is a rose and pendant light fitting within the 60cm radius of the bath and shower, however as my ceilings are above the 225 cm limit, then the fitting is outside of any zone. Could I swap it myself for a different type of fitting, ie a flush ceiling light?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Trying to get my head around Part P and how it now applies.
It applies in the same way it has since 2006.

It still applies to applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

In the bathroom I have very high ceilings, 250 - 270 cm high. Am I right in thinking that any light fitting on the ceiling would therefor be outside of any zones and fully changeable by me, and be no-notifiable?

At the moment there is a rose and pendant light fitting within the 60cm radius of the bath and shower, however as my ceilings are above the 225 cm limit, then the fitting is outside of any zone. Could I swap it myself for a different type of fitting, ie a flush ceiling light?
None of that would be notifiable now even if it were inside any of the Zones.

This Part P vs Notifiable thing is not pedantry - it is important to know that in any electrical work you do you must, by law, make reasonable provision for safety - that requirement does not only apply to notifiable work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back