Bathroom - Part P Notifiable or Not ?

Sponsored Links
Well part p regs aren't well written often so sometimes it's not a black and white case.

I'd go so far to say that they are very badly written. They are full of inconsistencies and vagueness, and given the stated aim of the legislation of improving safety, the list of notifiable vs. non-notifiable work is pretty arbitrary. And don't forget that the first draft of the regulations was so badly thought out that strictly speaking it would have meant notification for things like extending a low-voltage doorbell circuit!

Though I am one who believes it's your house and you can do anything you like in it which is safe unless the law specifically stops you.

As do I. In fact the law already goes way too far in dictating what you can or cannot do in your own house. If you don't put enough insulation in the roof and walls and it ends up costing you more to keep warm, why is that any of the government's business? If you don't make proper provision for ventilation and end up with damp problems which you need to sort out, again, why is that anybody else's business but yours? And if you want to put 500 watts of incandescent lighting in each room and pay the bill instead of using "energy efficient" lighting, that's none of the government's business either.

Basically - and in all fields - so long as what you do does not directly endanger anybody else, the government should keep its nose out of your affairs.

Others on here will say you can do nothing in your own house unless the law specifically allows you.

That position is not supported by the Common Law of the land though, so anyone thinking that way needs to remember that it's a basic tenet of English law that anything which is not expressly forbidden is, by default, legal. Despite the best efforts of local authorities, Westminster, Whitehall, and the EU, we haven't quite had that turned around yet.

Work consisting of—
(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—
. (i) any new fixed cabling; or
. (ii) a consumer unit;

Specifically allows you to do it. You are replacing a CB with an RCBO and there is no fixed cabling which would mean something you might clip to a wall.

The more I read the schedule, the more I actually come down on the side that by strict interpretation of the wording, that's correct. As you say though, much of the rest of the document suggests that the intent would be otherwise, given the multiple references elsewhere to "where circuit protective measures are unaffected." But as the enforcers of these regulations are always quick to point out what the precise wording says when it suits them, we should do the same, surely?

Not that I would really care one iota either way if it were me. Pay over £100 to the tinpot little dictators in the District Council to replace my MCB with my RCBO? You must be joking.

Of course, I am a property rights person, so I know what I would do.

And I think everybody knows what I would do, too! :D

I am considering swapping the 2 MCBs currently in place for 2 appropriate, equivalent RCBOs. Would this swapping need Notifying under Part P ?
2) Probably Yes
By the way Chapeau, why do you see the answer to 2) as "Probably Yes" ?
IHNI why he does - it's definitely notifiable.
no it`s not ...............
OK - please show us where in Schedule 2B there is an exemption which would apply to swapping MCBs for RCBOs.
your doing it again - we`re not talking about swopping MCB`S
your doing it again - we`re not talking about swopping MCB`S

I am considering swapping the 2 MCBs currently in place for 2 appropriate, equivalent RCBOs. Would this swapping need Notifying under Part P ?

except that wasnt the post you quoted and I replied too .....wordsmith
Which was the post I quoted and you replied to, then?

Sponsored Links
Nothing constructive to add, but I would like to say I have found this quite an interesting thread/debate.

Damn the LABC. :LOL:

Doesn't even say that.

So

1) Almost certainly No
2) Probably Yes

no, not what we we`re talking about.
Then for some unfathomable reason you must think that we're talking about something other than what has been written in this topic.

iinfrquentuser said he was considering swapping MCBs for RCBOs, and asked if that would be notifiable. chapeau said it (i.e. swapping them) probably would be. infrequentuser asked chapeau why he said "probably", and I said IHNI why he said that as it (i.e. swapping them) was definitely notifiable.

You then said no it (i.e. swapping them) was not

So I asked you where in Schedule 2B there was an exemption which would apply to swapping MCBs for RCBOs.

At which point you said "your doing it again - we`re not talking about swopping MCB`S"

And when I showed that swapping MCBs was exactly what we were talking about you said "except that wasnt the post you quoted and I replied too .....wordsmith"

So when I then went through the history of all the relevant exchanges on the matter of the notifiability of swapping MCBs.

And still you say "no, not what we we`re talking about".

I freely admit that I have absolutely no idea what you think we are talking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back