Part P assessment - ELecsa - Safe Isolation Procedure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have my part p assessment tomorrow and have been fed some confusing info. To carry out the safe isolation test
a) do i need to do it with a voltage tester and proving unit
b) or can i use alternate methods

People have said that they are strict and you must use the correct unit and proving unit.
Can anyone help.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I know that the NIC don't require you to use a proving unit (for DI status), you can check across the supply and load side of the DB main switch!

Check L-N supply side
L-N load side
L-E load side
N-E load side
Check L-N supply side

That's how I do it for my assesment..... was pulled up for using my MFT doing this.... should have used an approved votlage indicator!! (I passed without any comment on my sheet though)

Yep - use a GS-38 approved voltage tester only. Never use anything which you need to select the range as it can be mis-set.

Prove the tester before and after each use by either using a proving unit or by checking it on a supply with a similar voltage to the nominal of the system you have isolated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys
Didn't want to fork out £100+ but wanted to confirm.
Not worried about the assessment itself, more worried about the 2391 exam next week, b ut that's another story :)

C'mon the Clarets!!!!!!!

All depends on the asessor on the day really.

I keep my Di-Log combivolt voltage/continuity by my side at all times anyway.

I tend to use the 'known live' method most of the time (as I told the assessor) but do carry my proving unit depending on the type of work I'm carrying out.

I told him this and he was more than satisfied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back