Part P Cert???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the Part P certificate? I have filled in a number of Installation Certs and presumed this was the Part P cert, but i've been told by a collegue that there is also a compliance cert sent out. Is the compliance cert, the part p certificate that people require for selling home etc. or is it the installation cert?

Sponsored Links
What is the Part P certificate? I have filled in a number of Installation Certs and presumed this was the Part P cert,
Oh dear.

but i've been told by a collegue that there is also a compliance cert sent out.
If the work is notifiable, then a Building Regulations Completion Certificate is required.

These come from Building Control, and prove that the work complied with the Building Regulations (all of the applicable ones, not just Part P).

If the work is done by someone able to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations (all of the applicable ones, not just Part P) then the certificate is sent by Building Control to the householder after they receive notification from the installer, via his registration body, that the work has been done.

If the work is done by someone not able to self-certify then the law requires that an application for Building Regulations approval be made in advance, and the work is then checked by Building Control for compliance, and if OK they issue a completion certificate.

So - $64,000Q - are you registered to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations?

Is the compliance cert, the part p certificate that people require for selling home etc. or is it the installation cert?
It's the former.

cheers
there are two sets of certs then, the installation cert and the BC compliance cert, and there is a cert called Part P but the BC compliance cert says and works completed are in compliance with the differrent "Parts" of the building regs.
btw I am a mere employee, but my firm can self cert

Sponsored Links
Just to illustrate.

When you do some work. You complete an electrical installation cert. This confirms that the work you have done complies with a particular wiring standard (usually BS7671).
They look something like this:
I guess that's the bit you have been doing?

If the work is notifiable then you tell your scheme provider that you are registered with (who's that then?)
They notify the LABC that the work you have done complies with Building Regs and the customer gets a Certificate of Compliance (usually from the scheme provider).
It looks like this:
If you aren't a member of a scheme then it counts as a DIY job and you should notify the council (pay some money) and they will inspect the work.
Once they are happy then a Certificate of Compliance will come from them.

On selling a house, the buyers solicitor will want both the Certificate of Compliance and the installation certs for any new electrical works that have been done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back