Part-P Domestic Installation Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has this cert any legal status, do you have to be red Part-P, or can anyone fill it in?

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing.

Electrical Installation Certificates And Minor Electrical Work Installation Certificates can be completed by anyone competent to do the work.

However, some work is notifiable to the Local Authority Building Control.
Unless you are registered to self-certify you must notify them before you start the work.

ALL work must comply with part P of the Building Regulations.

There is no such thing.

Yes there is. I'm looking at it , example (http://www.test4less.co.uk/details.asp?productID=1677)

it says exactly the title of this topic, hence the question. I know p is part of the building regs, just wondered if this was as well.

As in can any sparks fill this in? and get their mate to fill out the partp compliance certificate?

Sorry another question.
shouldthe rcd things in the cu be tested at x .5 x1 and x5 or is x1 only ok?

There is no such thing.
Yes there is. I'm looking at it , example (http://www.test4less.co.uk/details.asp?productID=1677) ... it says exactly the title of this topic, hence the question. I know p is part of the building regs, just wondered if this was as well.
Not 'exactly the title of this topic'. There is no such thing as as a 'Domestic Installation Certificate'. There is, however, as per your link, an 'Electrical Installation Certificate' (EIC).
As in can any sparks fill this in? and get their mate to fill out the partp compliance certificate?
As you've been told, anyone 'competent' (in the everyday sense, not necessarily even an electrician) can complete an EIC. However, as you presumably know, only an electrician registered with one of the ('Competent persons') self-certification schemes can issue a Part P Compliance Certificate.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing.
Yes there is. I'm looking at it , example (http://www.test4less.co.uk/details.asp?productID=1677)
That says Electrical Installation Certificate as I wrote.

The certificate applies to every installation.
Part P only applies to Domestic Premises.
So, decipher that however you want.

it says exactly the title of this topic, hence the question. I know p is part of the building regs, just wondered if this was as well.
Not really. It is part of the Electrical Regulations which are not actually stutory.

This is part P - this is ALL it says
electrics:the_dreaded_part_p:p1.jpg

As in can any sparks fill this in? and get their mate to fill out the part p compliance certificate?
It is not a case of being compliant with part P. All WORK must comply with part P.
No one is allowed to certify (leading to the compliance certificate) other people's work unless they have supervised it throughout.
Any competent person can fill it in but there may be other reasons why they cannot do the work.

Sorry another question.
should the rcd things in the cu be tested at x .5 x1 and x5 or is x1 only ok?
Yes, and at both 0° and 180° according to the Electrical Regulations

Why would you want to buy a book of certificates from a test equipment maker (bet you need to buy the schedule forms as well) when the Internet is awash with free downloads?

Has this cert any legal status, do you have to be red Part-P, or can anyone fill it in?

Why do you ask these questions?
Do you intend to fill the documents in?
If so forget it, as it seems your awareness would suggest you are not competent to do so!

I do wonder what is different on an Electrical Installation Certificate for domestic and for any other installation. However it does say based on the IET forms which are free to down load so one questions why.

One reason why some use a book is there is a serial number on each certificate and a carbon copy so one can show if the form has been altered post issue, but how many keep the copies 10 years until the next EICR is completed I don't know! And since the LABC keep a copy do we still need to anyway?

Having the skill required is different to showing one has the skill required and for LABC to accept the certificate often they want some proof that one has the skill. However saying that they asked what certificates were held but did not ask to see them.

The electrical installation certificate should in a domestic always have either a completion certificate or a compliance certificate as well. However a minor works certificate often will not have a completion certificate or a compliance certificate as well. Although pre-Part P I would often use an electrical installation certificate for minor works today we need to be more selective.

I used excel which also was set up to check readings complied highlighting any errors. However I don't know of any certificates being rejected by either scheme operator or LABC where errors have been made.

Personally I think the lack of line - neutral loop impedance is a mistake as we want to show as originally installed the volt drop is within limits and I have noted some versions do ask for extra information.

However asking if TN or TT is quite fair but as to if TN-S or TN-C-S is really a problem as although we may be able to see from the head it is TN-C-S we can never be sure that it's TN-S unless the DNO has said so.

So a form were we write in supply type is easy as we enter what is known but tick boxes rarely have an option for TN it's either TN-C-S or TN-S so we are forced to make an assumption often on the ELI reading. I therefore see a point in using custom forms so one is not forced to make an assumption and you can just enter TN.

Pre-Part P no one had to vet the form. However today either the scheme provider or the LABC has to accept the format. I had no problems with my LABC using Excel but I can see how some could reject forms which miss what they feel is vital information. Questions like if it is 624Y Twin & Earth PVC Cable or 624B Twin & Earth LSZH Cable with original installation are all well and good however where a new circuit has been added which includes some of the old stuff then it's not so easy. For example consumer unit change which really needs an EIC rather than minor works however really it's not a new circuit however there is not really the provision on a minor works to enter details.

However with for example RCD testing we make 6 tests but only enter one reading. The same with PSC reading we need to test both line - neutral and line - earth but only enter the highest reading.

I don't like admitting but before I took my C&G2391 I read the meter and transferred the readings onto the paperwork without really considering what I was doing and if paperwork did not ask for a test it was not done. I would hope now the scheme operators and LABC have ensured all tests are done at least on spot checked items but I would not lay any bets.

Why do you ask these questions?
Do you intend to fill the documents in?
If so forget it, as it seems your awareness would suggest you are not competent to do so!

I am asking these questions, in order to advise a client who had a (proven ) dogy PartP.

I do the vast majority of my work in temp , gennies, transformers,

ups and distro, and industrial research, so I like to ask advice now and then to make sure I am correct, in this case, in the domestic areas.

Personally whenever I deploy RCD devices they are tested and documented to BS4293
.5x
1x
5x
manual

When a cable is less than 50mm deep, outside the defined safe zones does it need in BS7671

1) protection by barrier
2) individual RCD

or can it be left just on the CU RCD?, (not that safe I would say)

I am asking these questions, in order to advise a client who had a (proven ) dogy PartP.
What exactly does that mean?

Kind Regards, John

It means the PartP does not comply with the Law in that the sparks who issued it did not do the work, nor did his firm.
He is a 3rd party and just did the sign off.

On the back of the PartP Cert it says
"if the signature over is not the signature of the person/firm who did the work then call the helpline"

It means the PartP does not comply with the Law in that the sparks who issued it did not do the work, nor did his firm.
He is a 3rd party and just did the sign off.

On the back of the PartP Cert it says
"if the signature over is not the signature of the person/firm who did the work then call the helpline"
Have you called the helpline and what was the response?

[/quote]
Have you called the helpline and what was the response?[/quote]

The sparks concerned
was contacted, asked to explain, did not reply.
then he was suspended,
then thrown out of the compliance scheme

possible trading standards investigation and maybe legal action.

It means the PartP does not comply with the Law in that the sparks who issued it did not do the work, nor did his firm. He is a 3rd party and just did the sign off. On the back of the PartP Cert it says ...
I'm still not totally clear as to what this certificate you're calling a 'PartP' actually is - is it an Electrical Installation Certificate or a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back