Where are we Part P ?

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Genuine enquiry, by the book, England, installed April 2019.

I've lost the plot on reading part P, flames/bickering/'I think' aside can you advise on the current status please.

Outside work (dom) new lights (for a pathway at the side of a house). If the worker employed (or not) completed work to install two outside wall lights and cabling (linking the two, on brick face) and assumed to be competent, what are the requirements for scheme membership/notification/registration/part P-ness/certification etc.

House wired to (I think) 15th edition (may have just made 16th) - single RCD - (internal) lighting not rcd protected (up & down circuits & spares), everything else via the one rcd.

Also, are there any (legal/recommendation/certification) requirements as to the height of such lights ?

Not my abode/handywork, no other info at this time.

Sponsored Links
I've lost the plot on reading part P, flames/bickering/'I think' aside can you advise on the current status please.
Part P of the Building Regulations -

upload_2019-4-24_17-4-37.png

That's all there is; there is no more.

What you are referring to is probably the notification requirements from Regulation 12.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3119/regulation/6/made

That's all there is in England now; there is no more despite what you may read elsewhere in the innumerable pointless guides people insist on writing. You can read it and make up your mind as well as anyone else.

Outside work (dom) new lights (for a pathway at the side of a house). If the worker employed (or not) completed work to install two outside wall lights and cabling (linking the two, on brick face) and assumed to be competent, what are the requirements for scheme membership/notification/registration/part P-ness/certification etc.
If it's not a new circuit then he just needs to comply with Part P above.
If it is a new circuit then to self-notify (stupidly called self-certify) to the Local Authority, he will need to be a member of a scheme

OR

you pay a fee to the LA before work commences if they deem him competent.

All electrical work should be accompanied by a certificate which anyone can complete. Obviously they have to know what they are doing and have equipment to test the work.

House wired to (I think) 15th edition (may have just made 16th) - single RCD - (internal) lighting not rcd protected (up & down circuits & spares), everything else via the one rcd.
New work must comply with the latest regulations so will need RCD on the circuit.

Also, are there any (legal/recommendation/certification) requirements as to the height of such lights ?
No. Common sense.

This is Part P:

upload_2019-4-26_18-32-32.png

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/contents/made

Hard to see what anybody could bicker about.

This shows what work is not notifiable in England, so unless the new lights involved a new circuit (and the consensus is that an FCU does not create a new circuit wrt Building Regulations, no matter what BS 7671 says) it wasn't notifiable.

However - it is generally agreed that complying with BS7671 is by far and away the most appropriate way of ensuring compliance with P1, so whoever did the work should have issued a MEWIC.

The Wiring Regulations are not retrospective. If the person who did these lights did comply with the 18th he will have verified that the earthing and bonding was OK, tested the RCD, etc.

Not that I can think of, beyond the obvious don't put them where they or the cables are at risk of getting damaged.

Well, perhaps ignoring me is not such a good idea.

Plus - Scheldule 4 to which you link was superceded in 2013 by the Regulation 12 amendments linked in my post.

I really don't know what to say except that it does indicate that something has happened and you do not seem to know what you are talking about any more.

Sponsored Links
This is Part P:
It is.
However, I would suggest that if one is 'ignoring' someone in this forum, then one probably ought to desist from posting anything to a thread in which that person is participating, in order to avoid annoying duplication of material such as in this recent post.

Oh........can't I post what Part P says?

Not fair........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back