Part P question

I have some qualifications (a number of years ago) in this arena and even though I've never worked professionally in the field I am perfectly capable of working to current regulations.

Any opportunity to avoid unnecessary cost in my view should be taken....

Maybe speak to your local LABC and ask their opinion. I have a feeling they'll tell you that notification is required though.

Have you got a copy of or have access to BS7671:2008 (17th edition wiring regulations)? You'll need to reference this to work to current regulations.

Sponsored Links
Considering that's such a big difference to what is and what isn't notifiable then why is it not carried over to other prints like the Approved Document P and the Electricians Guide To The Building Regulations?

Looking at the EGTTBR it also has a Special Location as a location containing a bath or a shower basin, swimming or paddling pool and hot air saunas.

There must have been plenty of opportunity to put 'if within relevant zones' before final print.
I agree. But first and foremost, as professionals we must read and understand the actual regulations before reading other peoples guides, including the IEE's.

And the law, as you state, is crystal - outside the defined zones in a bathroom is not notifiable.

(the same 'easy to read' document also specifically mentions replacing current bath with whirlpool baths and spa's as not notifiable under any of the regulations)

I’m still not convinced its that simple!

BAS, my statement may not have been politically correct. I also can’t dispute what the actual law says in its wording. But forgetting the guides for the moment there is a DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED.

And this is work consisting of—
(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—
(i) any new fixed cabling;

Therefore, wouldn’t replacing a normal bath with a “whirlpool bath” and requiring a new electrical installation, whether in a special location zone or not, be considered “new fixed cabling” and therefore, in the eyes of the law would require notifying?

V

Read section 2 (c) (ii) of 2B, if we deem that the area below a bath is not in a special location then adding a fused spur to an existing circuit here to supply the whirlpool will be non notifiable.
It should still be noted that whatever is installed in the void must be suitable for the environment where it is installed, the requirements of P1 must also be met which in most cases involves following a recognised standard such as BS7671 and the manufacturers instructions.

Sponsored Links
The way that 2B works is this:

You start with the work that you want to do and start reading down Schedule 2B.

As soon as you find something that matches what you are planning you have got an exemption from notification and you stop reading.

If you get to the end and you've not got a match, your work is notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back