Schedule 4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With regards to some recent posts/threads and Schedule 4, especially the notification or non requirement of notification of electrical installations outside of the bath/shower room zones.
I thought it did not make sense, so best take this up with my local building controls officer and this was the reply.

"The Building Regulations 2000 (as amended) referred to the zones in BS 7671:2001, which included an extended Zone 3.

BS 7671:2008 lost Zone 3, so the Building Regulations 2010 should really refer in Schedule 4 to the zones in BS 7671:2001

This is something we will correct if necessary when we amend the regulations in 2013 following the review of Part P."

Sponsored Links
Devil's advocate -

Then why was zone 3 removed?
How does LBCO know this?
BS7671:2001 has been superseded.
Do we believe LBCO?

Oh! and - That's not what it says.

"The Building Regulations 2000 (as amended) referred to the zones in BS 7671:2001, which included an extended Zone 3.
Yes.

BS 7671:2008 lost Zone 3,
Yes.

And then they changed the Building Regulations to reference the new version of BS 7671.

so the Building Regulations 2010 should really refer in Schedule 4 to the zones in BS 7671:2001
Should they?

So why were they not left alone?

How can legislation refer to obsolete standards, there being no guarantee that anybody will be able to obtain them?

How come this BCO knows more about what should have been done than the people who wrote the law?

This is something we will correct if necessary when we amend the regulations in 2013 following the review of Part P."
Does he draft legislation as part of his job, or in his spare time?

Does Part P apply in Northern Ireland - I thought it was only England and Wales??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back