partial block w/m stand pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The water from w/m hose overflows from stand pipe :(

flooding floor . The pipe leading to the drain appears to be partially blocked ( will drain some water poured into ).

:?: What can be used to unblock it totally without dismantling it ?

Things suggested so far :

Bleach

boiling water

baking soda

Any suggestions ?

:idea:

Thinking of blocking off lowest end and filling with some kind of cleanser ?

Sponsored Links
none of the above.

caustic soda, followed by hot water from a kettle, be very carefull

breezer said:
none of the above.

caustic soda, followed by hot water from a kettle, be very carefull

thanks breezer

I couldn t find any caustic soda :( so bought some foaming drain cleaner

It didn t work :cry:

Now trying brute force approach * rammed 15mm copper pipe into blocked pipe*

The blockage looks like matted, harden paper/cloth Mache throughtout length of blocked pipe,leaveing a 5mm dia. route for water to pass.

Will buy caustic soda tommro to remove depoits from bends or should something else be used ? Blocked pipe is steel then plactic.

If the blockage was caused by soap, grease etc that could be dissolved, the caustic soda should work but if it is fibrous material it might not. I would start by using a length of stiff wire with a hook formed at the end, to poke in and fish out bits. The other, potentially messy way to clear it is to poke a hosepipe down, try to hold rags round the outside of the hose where it enters the pipe and get an assistant to turn on the hose tap.

Sponsored Links
To decide which category you should choose for a given question you should think about what sort of tradesman you would call in. In this case you would call a plumber ( I would include the likes of Dyno-Rod as plumbers). As an appliance engineer I would not undertake this particular job. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back