Waste pipe leaking every time the wash mach is on rinse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came back from town and found my kitchen was flooded as the waste pipe from my washing machine leaked. It seems to be a simple hose inserted into a stand pipe connected by a U bend to the drainage under the kitchen sink. I unscrewed the connection and cleaned it all up. I couldn't see any holes or breakages in the hose to explain this but I can't stop it overflowing every time the w/mach is on rinse cycle. Please can anyone help?

Distressed Damsel

Sponsored Links
DD, you have a blockage which is causing the standpipe to overflow.

Is there a sink nearby? If so, does it drain away without any problems, and without it backfilling into the washing machine?

If the sink is OK then it implies that the trap at the bottom of the standpipe is blocked. Otherwise, if they're both affected, it's likely to be an outside gully that's blocked.

Does this help?

Sponsored Links
you did, but two opinions of the same is better than none

breezer said:
you did, but two opinions of the same is better than none
I disagree, so I'm hereby leaving this one entirely to you.

Thanks for the suggestion but it can't be a blockage as I emptied a bottle of de-blocker down the sink in February. The u bend itself was also not blocked. I am hoping that it is just that I am not connecting the pipe up correctly. The hose just seems to go into the u bend without being connected in any way that I can see. Is there a knack as to how it is done? For instance, should the hose go right round the u bend?

Distresseed Damsel

(ruffles corner of lapels and stands up holding said lapels)

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury.

I put it to you that prior to the day in question, said appliance emptied itself with no trouble at all, and since said day on empty cycle (rinse) it persists in emptying its contents all over the floor.

I put it to you ladies and gentlemen of the Jury, that there is a blockage.

May i also remind you ladies and gentlemen that the air we breath is invisible."

(Judge) "And your point ?"

"Sorry your honour, just because you can not see something does not mean that it is not there"

"The said pipe work had an Unblocking substance administered in February, would the court please note that it is now May, some 3 months later

May i also remind the court that as the efforts of said unblocking substance were not viewed or inspected the actual "work" of said substance is not actauly known, only assumed"

The prossecution rests its case

breezer said:
(ruffles corner of lapels and stands up holding said lapels)

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury.

I put it to you that prior to the day in question, said appliance emptied itself with no trouble at all, and since said day on empty cycle (rinse) it persists in emptying its contents all over the floor.

I put it to you ladies and gentlemen of the Jury, that there is a blockage.

May i also remind you ladies and gentlemen that the air we breath is invisible."

(Judge) "And your point ?"

"Sorry your honour, just because you can not see something does not mean that it is not there"

"The said pipe work had an Unblocking substance administered in February, would the court please note that it is now May, some 3 months later

May i also remind the court that as the efforts of said unblocking substance were not viewed or inspected the actual "work" of said substance is not actauly known, only assumed"

The prossecution rests its case
Bank holidays are obviously hazardous to your health breezer, bloody funny though :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back