Partial lighting circuit rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I'm doing some work in our bathroom at the moment, and we'd like to install an illuminated mirror (with shaver socket built in) and an extractor fan.

Our current lighting circuits (upstairs and down) are live and neutral only and don't have an earth. I can't afford to have the house rewired at the moment, but I wondered if a sparky would be able to re-wire just part of the upstairs circuit?

The bathroom light is the first light in the run on the upstairs ring. I would like to go to this point only. The rest of the lighting circuit is to 3 bedrooms and a landing. These would be re-wired at a later date (when I'm not being threatened with redundancy!!)

My question being is would an electrician be able to just re-wire part of a circuit from a regs point of view, and would he be able to sign of a part re-wire under Part P?

Many thanks for your time

Carl.
Any help would be really useful.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can rewire the bathroom circuit back to the fuse board, but getting an electrician to reconnect an unearthed circuit to this new circuit is unlikely. It's a sticky situation really. Best bet is to ask a local electrician this question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back