Partially completed track/driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After years of trying, have managed to buy a strip of badly neglected land bedside the house that was full of brambles.

The strip used to be a farm track, measures 4m by 60m (yep pretty long)

I have cut down all the brambles, and discovered that the farmer must have in the past dug down 250mm along the whole track, shoved lots of large chunks of concrete/rubble along the length and then gave up - i.e. did not fill in with any Type 1 or smaller crush. The consequence is the large lumps of rubble have bramble roots growing in-between them, and decaying vegetation has infilled the gaps.

Do you think I could just add 150mm of type one over the lot? This would bring the track closer to the original level.

I am worried that once all the vegetation does decay it will leave pockets under the Type 1.

Or should I get a mini digger in/grab service and take all the big chunks out?

I don't plan to use the track, or drive on it any time soon - I just want to tidy up the area, and keep the track clear (to help me in cutting my hedge from both sides)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a good base there already, most old tracks are just any old rocks to hand thrown in, and the wheel tracks will have compacted over the years

If you don't need it for driving up, why bother putting down new stone? You could just leave it to nature and go in once or twice a year and strim it all down to the ground

I think the farmer took out the best compacted bits when he dug down the 250mm.

So what I have left is large lumps with gaps between them (some filled with decaying vegetation).

I could just leave it, but its really uneven/difficult to walk on due to the big lumps- which are lose enough to wobble/move when you walk on them, and neigh on impossible to stand my hedge cutting platform on.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to start again. If its hard to walk on the lumps must be pretty big and putting new stuff over the top is going to lead to problems as you mentioned when the pockets of leaf mould etc rot away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back