Partitioning Kitchen into new bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope someone can help.
I am partitioning part of my downstairs kitchen into a bathroom.
The bathroom will consist of a shower and basin.
At present I have 2 electrical sockets in this room, one at chest height and the other at above head height.
I was hoping to blank one of these off with a blanking plate and use the other one as an FCU to then run in external conduit to lighting and an extractor fan.
The fcu will be above the shower, provided I block access to this, is the rest legal?
If the fcu is blocked off and I run cable from the back box to an external FCU would that help and how can I block these off safely so that they are legal in the shower zone etc?

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost you to notify this job?

What is the height and the IP ratings of the blank plates you intend to use?

There are a lot of rules covering both kitchens and bathrooms and without seeing the installation I would not want to give advice except to read BS7671:2008 carefully.

Of course you will need to inform the local authority building control (LABC) and as a result any deviations will likely be spotted.

Some points to remember.

1) All items in a bathroom need RCD protection.
2) Now same rules for bedroom with shower in as bathroom so 3 meters from shower or bath sockets are now permitted.
3) All items fitted in a bathroom need to be designed for bathroom use so be very careful selecting what goes in there.
4) Kitchen is also a special location so the whole job will come under Part P and in the main it is charged at £100 per £2000 worth of work plus vat so if it goes over £2000 the price can rocket.
5) There is not only Part P but a host of building regulations which stipulate number of air changes, socket heights, and lighting type.

I would consider if this is really a DIY job? As far as I can work out LABC can be very good or very bad and in some areas if it fails they will charge for second inspection yet others will really guide you through the process. Remember any builder will have dealt with LABC many times and has a good idea what they will or will not pass.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies, the reason I am doing this is to make a self contained flat so that I may rent it out for help with the mortgage.

We were hoping on doing a loft conversion in the near future and as such we have had an architect round. he has also including the new kitchen(upstairs) and the new bathroom (downstairs), in his plans. Obviously we are keen to get the work done so that we can start getting some income but it sounds quite complicated and I would no doubt need approval before I go ahead. I have already installed the new kitchen upstairs and we are in fact living upstairs now. Is there no way of completing this before approval, provided I have done everythin correclty even if it means getting in a professional, surely once approval has been granted it is just subject to inspection?

Cost wise it has so far been cheap. The bathroom install shouldn't cost more than £500 if that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back