Installing new FCU for Bathroom mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently have an electric shower installed which I will be removing.

The electric feed is coming straight from the consumer unit and nothing else feeds off it.

Question I have is can i feed this wire into an FCU fixed to the outside of the bathroom wall and then run a wire from FCU to my mirror?

Sponsored Links
If the old shower feed is RCD protected, then yes.
But be aware that any electrical work in a bathroom is notifiable.

You mean on its own fuse?
Sorry, me not understand..

You will need to terminate the existing shower circuit into an FCU as you know. The fuse will need to be the size determined by the maker of the mirror (probably 3amp).

The FCU will need to be sited wherever is practical, given the restraints of items in a bathroom.

The circuit must be RCD protected as required by BS7671(2008)

And you will need to notify the local authority that you are carrying out electrical works in a bathroom as required by Building regulations (before you do the work) and pay their fee.

Sponsored Links
You could use the old shower cable as described.

But it may well be just as easier to connect to the existing lighting circuit, if it is RCD protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back