Partly cold house - help please gurus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - hope you're enjoying the snow!

I have a 60s chalet thatt we have had for a couple of years - always been a pain to heat with many rooms hard to get warm.

Have put loads of insulation in walls and roof.

Over the summer during building works had a new vailant boiler fitted (open vented), new pump, some larger rads, new timer, system balanced but the upstairs bedroom is at 11C, the downstairs room are struggling to get to 15-16.

The new boiler is set to about 70C but usually appears to pump around luke warm water..and occasionally burst into life and get something a bit warmer..very rarely the rads get piping hot.

Any suggestions of things to look at or what might be wrong

Many thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
What does your installer say about it?

What controls do you have on this system? Do you have weather comp fitted?

Is there a by-pass valve that is not set correctly?

All rads should be piping hot to touch if boiler is set a 70C, but wheter the rooms get warm/hot could be a seperate issue.

Well the first problem is that you did not get Dave to fit it for you!

Its normal if a new installation has any short comings to call the installer back to sort it out.

Was it fitted by a non CORGI or someone whom you dont trust to sort it out?

If you paid the proper price for the installation you have a right to expect it to be working correctly or at least to be given an explanation of the cause of the problem if its as a result of the system design and not a factor of the new boiler.

Tony Glazier

Thanks for comments - yes I plan to get the CORGI man back - and he's a really good guy too - it's just that this was an inherent problem before he came along and I hoped what he did would have fixed it.

Not sure if there is a weather comp...there is a bypass valve (that was fitted last year) - what is the right setting?

I always had trouble getting enough flow around the house before and thought the new stuff would fix that - sigh

I did notice that the rads got hot when the hot water came on the other day - coincidence??

All your help is much appreciated

If not Dave - how much to come and fix it lol

Sponsored Links
It really sounds as if its not been set up properly or the controls have been wrongly wired.

The original installer should be given the opportunity to put it right first ( at his cost! ).

If he is not able to sort it out then you can call Dave who, I am sure, will be able to find the problem. In that case if, as seems likely, the installer is at fault then he should be asked to pay for Daves visit.

Tony

Cheers Tony

Will get onto the installer tomorrow or day after.

Now does this sound odd?..I realised I'd left the HW turned off since breakfast - went to put it back on and it came on immediately as it was during its set time. However shortly afterwards the rad got very hot (lubbly jubbly) and the boiler stayed on heating at 75C on the display rather than just coming on for 20secs.

A short while later the hot water turned itself off and then the boiler went back to its only coming on for 20 seconds every 10 mins or so.

Seems to be the heating only works properly if the hot water is turned on whilst the heating is already on.

Spooky or what!

Does your ch system have a 3way valve?
If so may just be that its stuck or failed and your rads are only getting hot when the boiler fires up for the hot water.

I think the wiring needs to be fully checked and as said above any zone valve/valves.

If the boiler is working fine for the HW then it appears to be an external fault.

I assume the pump has been wired back to the boiler?

What boiler was in place before you had the Vaillant installed?

What other, if any, work did you have done to the system at the time of boiler change?

e-mail me, from my profile, the name of your installer, I may know him.

Well - what good service Mr Corgi called around after work to have a look - diagnosed sticking motorised valve.

This explains the historic problems too with kettling and low flow with the old boiler.

He's coming back on Weds to fix.

Thanks for all your help from here - you never let me down..I just like to understand more about symptoms/problems/fixes etc

Cheers

Rich

Can now confirm that the motorized valve mechanism (not motor) was at fault.

House has never been so toasty

As always your help has been much appreciated

Oh dear I spoke too soon and the problem has returned although not so bad..but boiler is just coming on for 20 secs getting to 70 then going to sleep again.

Awaiting corgi man again

I wonder if there's an airlock in the boiler??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back