Partly Hollow Screeded Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had a 40m2 screed laid approx 6 months ago onto a solid concrete base, I have since noticed that some areas are hollow sounding (between screed and concrete base), my question is, is there any remedy, for instance, could for instance a hole be drilled where there is a hollow, then injected/poured with a bonding agent. Is this common and how serious is it?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
this phenomenon occurs often. it's to do with the relative expansion of the screed against the concrete. as the screed is subject to higher temperatures than the concrete below, it behaves or moves slightly differently and ultimately can separate.

it doesn't help the fact that screed also sets very rigid.

i haven't known it become a nuisance though.

noseall said:
this phenomenon occurs often. it's to do with the relative expansion of the screed against the concrete. as the screed is subject to higher temperatures than the concrete below, it behaves or moves slightly differently and ultimately can separate.

it doesn't help the fact that screed also sets very rigid.

i haven't known it become a nuisance though.

I was just a bit concerned as I want to tile the floor with ceramic tiles, I did not want them to fail!

Many thanks

You don't say how thick the screed is but the fact that you're concerned that it sounds hollow suggests you intended it to be bonded to the concrete beneath.

For screeds to bond to concrete, the concrete must be sound, strong, stable, with no powdery laitance on the surface. The normal methods of substrate preparation include scabbling, grinding, recylical shot blasting, or at the very least wire brushing. In measurable technical terms you need a pull off (tensile) strength > 0.8N/mm2 within the concrete in order for the concrete base to be strong enough to restrain a bonded screed.

Once that's all done, clean (e.g. vacuum), wash with clean water to 1) clean it and 2) satisfy any porosity, remove puddles but leave damp, then apply a bonding primer of Ronafix and cement, mixed in equal parts, measured by weight or by volume.

Before this bonding primer dries (you have about 10-30 minutes depending on temperature and drying breezes and porosity) mix and lay your screed.

If you want to lay a very thin screed, e.g. to a minimum depth of only 6mm, then use cement, dry medium grade sharp sand, Ronafix and water. Dry mix the cement and sand, mix proportions 1: 2.5 by weight, mix 1 part Ronafix with 1 part water, and add enough of the diluted Ronafix to the cement and sand to achieve a screed which is wet enough to lay but not too wet that’s sloppy. The test is too squeeze a ball of mortar in your hand. It should form a “cake” which you can break open into two halves. If it crumbles it’s too dry. If it squeezes through your fingers, it’s too wet.

Once mixed, lay it on to the wet/tacky primer with a float or trowel, compact it well and screed smooth. Protect it from drying out too rapidly (too avoid shrinkage cracking and curling) with either tight fitting polythene secured around the edges, or a pray applied curing membrane such as Ronacrete Monocure.

Once cured and hardened, use it.

Going back to this problem, your screed could be unbonded for a number of reasons.

Poor or no preparation.
Weak or friable concrete.
No bonding primer used.
Inadequate compaction and no contact with the substrate in the hollow area.

To rebond it is a difficult one and often a hit/miss exercise.

You can drill the area and pour in a liquid rebonder such as Ronacrete Ronabond SR79, a low viscosity acrylic resin which can rebond if all conditions are right. But if the concrete base is weak, friable, powdery, has laitance on it, or the gap between the top of the concrete and underside of the screed is too big, it won’t work.

Hope this helps.

++++++++
Adverising link has been removed.

Mod Rupert
++++++++

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum !!!

Thanks for all your time in answering, you obviously know your stuff, your help has been a great aid, it's not a screed I laid myself, it was done by a builder a while back, the type that you would only use once, it's about 2" deep, I was a bit concerned as I am going to tile and did not know if the hollows would cause the tiles to fail at a later date.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back