partly renewing Sapele base for patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello There, My patio door was installed about 30 years ago (Everest) and still functions great. But even though I've treated the hardwood surround regularly, the wooden base has rotted in the corners. I've cut off a 2 and a half inch (2 1/2") strip along the whole base and obtained a new length of sapele wood machined with the original profile for it. Can you let me know please what is the best way to treat/protect it -before I screw it to the original remainder of the base.

Sponsored Links
Not all woods take treatment effectivly and sapele may be one if I recall correctly. However, soaking it for a day in something like cuprinol won't do it any harm.
I'd also make sure it is well protected with a paint system on the sides that are hidden to prevent water getting in. Aluminium primer works well on these soets of timber I believe.

That's Great advice that I will carry out as stated. Many Thanks and much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back