Party Wall act question in relation to walls over 3m long

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to extend out the back of the house 6m and have PP for it. Adjoining neighbour had no objection at planning stage.

Now we're in a position to make a start on it this spring we've tried the tea and cake approach with the neighbour to see what they say about us having a party wall instead of one wholly on my land right up to the boundary.

Her response was that we wanted to know where the step in would be as she apparently works for an architect so knows about these thing and after 3m you have to go within your own boundary!

The plans are for the extension to go out 6m however as much as I read up on it the only reference I can find to a 3m rule other than for foundation digging suggests this rule only applies to structures of more than 1 storey?

Is she correct and if so could someone point me in the direction of this rule and if she isn't I'm guessing it means we're in for a fight that's going to cost us more money!

Thanks In advance

Sponsored Links
So are you saying your neighbour would agree to sharing a party wall up to 3m long and any part of the wall that extends beyond 3m would need to be on your side... as per the PWA?

We don’t have an agreement as of yet.
What I mean is I think she thinks the rules don’t allow you to have a PW astride the boundary past 3m from the house. Anything past 3m has to be set in to be on my side of it.

Sponsored Links
Have never heard that before. Can you not ask for her clarification and where this supposed ‘rule’ is stated?

It sounds like she may not agree to a wall on the boundary which would exceed 3m. If this is the case, you’ll have to re-position it on your side. If and when they come to build an extension, there may end up being a gap between the two walls and kind of tough if she isn’t happy with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back