PD, Boundaries and Party Wall Act

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a client with a semi detached bungalow and he wants to etend on the side of it. As long as i consider all aspects of the permitted development rules (half width of original, 3m eaves, 4m ridge), does it matter that he wants to go right upto side boundary with an adjoining garage built upto neighbours side of boundary?

If i use a trench fill (to get away from effects of eccentric loading) of 450x600deep and keep it all on our side of the boundary will a Party Wall Notice be required?

Thanks, i hope i have made my queries clear enough

Sponsored Links
If i use a trench fill (to get away from effects of eccentric loading)

What does that mean? You can eccentrically load a trench fill foundation

There are several ways to invoke the PWA, not just by building on the boundary

i thought that you couldn't use a standard strip foundation if you were going to build on the edge of it, so to increase the depth of the foundation overcomes this problem.

I want to know whether a PWA is required if all building work is on your own side? I thought i heard somewhere that it wasn't?

If it's within 3m of an adjoining building or structure and your new foundation is below the depth of the foundation of that building/structure then yes. The PWA applies.

Sponsored Links
i don't think it will be going lower than existing foundations, but after re-reading the explanatory booklet, i think we will need to be cutting into neighbours wall to provide waterproofing ove our roof (and between both walls on te boundary), so a PWA will be needed....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back