Building on the boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a friend who is wanting to add an extension to the side of his house and build right up to the boundary with the neighbour. It fits within requirements of the PD regs and the planning office has confirmed that the extension itself is permitted development. However, the extension is a lean-to sloping towards the boundary. The planners say that, as the rainwater gutter will overhang the boundary of the property, it is not PD and the extension requires planning permission. Is this correct? Are they being petty? I can understand that the gutter overhanging the boundary needs to be addressed, but would have thought it comes under the Party Wall Act or is just a legal issue rather than a planning issue?

Sponsored Links
If he wants to build right on the boundary then it won't just be the gutter which overhangs, it'll be the roof eaves as well.

What does the neighbour think about losing the use of up to a foot of his land? Has your friend offered to buy this strip off next door?

Inky - why does the roof need to overhang? Most of the properties around here have gutters fixed on brackets directly to the stone work with the slates/tiles overhanging the stonework by an inch or two at the most - rare to see projecting eaves with soffits here. In any case, getting the neighbours permission is not a planning issue - I can get planning permission for land that is owned by someone else, but obviously that doesn't give me permission to build on it. Thats a legal matter and as I say, that's something he'll have to address by coming to some sort of agreement with the neighbour (which may or may not happen). Don't know if he's spoken to the neighbour or not to be honest.

Woody - yeah, there's ways round it, just wondered if the fact that just the gutter was over the boundary really meant it becomes outside the definitions of the PD regulations.

Sponsored Links
Woody - yeah, there's ways round it, just wondered if the fact that just the gutter was over the boundary really meant it becomes outside the definitions of the PD regulations.

Yes, PD only applies to your own property. Crossing the boundary is effectively building on someone else's land, so needs full planning approval

No point going through the trouble and expense of the Planning Permission process if the neighbour is then going to say no and scupper the whole thing.

If he agrees it with the neighbour in advance then the application might be a bit quicker and have an increased chance of success.

Box gutters look awful on domestic property's, and should be for 'designer cocked up no other choice' use only!

Overhanging the boundary, unless the deeds are altered, can just cause problems down the line and should be avoided at all cost, there are plenty of threads devoted to this on the forum.

Boxed, or recessed or hidden gutters look fine if they are incorporated into the overall design

Boxed, or recessed or hidden gutters look fine if they are incorporated into the overall design
Looks ain't everything Woodshelf things have to be practical too.

However, something that looks shoite and does not work all that well does not belong on a building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back