Party Wall/Boundary clarification - plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wanted to get some clarification to avoid a lot of the nightmare scenarios on this forum, where people look for the correct procedure after the event has happened.

Basically, both I and my neighbour are planning side extensions.

They are ahead in the process and are building their extension first. They have a limited amount of space down the side of the property so plan to build right up/on top of the boundary.

The boundary is a shared boundary and there is little dispute as to its position as the old fence line is imprinted in concrete.

We get on well with our neighbours and I do not expect that to change. However I am concerned by what the rules are regarding building up to/on top of a shared boundary.

The issues that concern me:

1) The architect keeps making measurement errors so at the moment the submitted plans go well over the boundary (our neighbours have made this clear this is an error and will show us corrected plans). Planning say they will approve any plans, even if it clearly goes onto my land and it is down to me to raise concerns and deal with it directly with the neighbours.

2) On the plan outlines they have drawn on the floor. It is the outer wall which goes very close to/on on top of the boundary. Which means the gutter overhang will be directly on the shared boundary or over. I also assume the foundations will cross the boundary.

Should I allow the foundations/gutter to cross/overhang the boundary? Or should everything really be on their side of the boundary? Or should there be a compromise. (Further info: My extension will be just over 1 metre from the boundary)

As I said everything is amicable and friendly, but I do not want to regret not doing anything after the thing is built, especially if it will affect me or my property in the future?

Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts on what procedure I should follow or what I should be cautious of are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Should I allow the foundations/gutter to cross/overhang the boundary? Or should everything really be on their side of the boundary? Or should there be a compromise. (Further info: My extension will be just over 1 metre from the boundary)

What would the compromise be? Either it goes over the boundary or it doesn't.
They would be allowed to take the footing across the boundary so that the face of the wall was flush, but then the eaves would overhang.
If you're setting yours in 1m, what would the problem be? You'd still be able to get access for maintenance. Depends if you want to risk creating any bad feeling, though the same works for your neighbours.

Yes you are quite correct regarding compromising (I kind of repeated myself), either we allow it to overhang, or we don't.

We don’t really want any gutter overhang (if there ends up being any). I don’t think I’m being unreasonable in that regard. Although as you say we would still have side access and it would not really affect us now. I have read many times where an overhang has caused unforeseen issues in the future.

I have no issue with their plans/extension. My concern is more about the procedure that should be followed when coming to an agreement on what can and can’t be done on a boarder. Do I need to establish where the border line is (with measurements) before the obvious imprint is removed etc...?

Do they have to serve a notice (other than planning application notice) regarding their plans to build up to/on the shared boundary? .....Section one notice?

In peoples experience should I respond to this informally? Or make a formal response?

Is it worth getting a party wall survey/agreement? Or is this overkill?

I have read many times stories where people were ok with intended plans, but the final building was different and crossed over the boundary more than expected or there was a big overhang etc....and I want to avoid any issues like this. In fact, this happened to my other neighbour and he regrets not doing more checks, which is probably what is concerning me.
Any impartial reassurance of what others would do, and what should be done to avoid issues.

Thanks Again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back