party wall act.. roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there..im looking for advice or help..with regards to my roof
im currently living in a semi..im private and next door is council..
the local council is remodernising the area..including roofs..
i havent agreed to any work done..they want to replace the council half roof tiles from approx 5"x8"black to 14"x8" brown machined..
they want to joint with a gulley and mortar over the dividing wall in the loft does this wall come under the party wall act?were does the chimmney come play in this as this is in the middle of the housefor both sides
the monkeys :) have errected the scaffold with none on my side im ok with that ..
on talking to the guys they said the roofers will press ahead with the tiling but come about a foot from the seperating loft wall ..
is this feasble todo as well as well as around the chimmney?
can i call ahalt to any works about to be done and request a surveyor from the council to survey this job(cant afford an indepent one)
if works proceed do i have any stance if my roof leaks or tiles loosen etc

Sponsored Links
Take photos of the roof and your loft/ceilings near the party wall. I believe the party wall act is mainly directed towards structural changes on/near the party wall line, as re-roofing isnt considered structural it may not apply.
Phone the council, they will be more than happy to talk you through what they are doing as they dont want the hastle of having an unhappy neighbour or ask the builders for the phone number of the contract manager or client contact.

This type of work does not come under the PWA.

From a customer service angle, I would have expected the council to have written to you to advise of the work, and how long it will take etc, and to give you a contact name for the person running the contract.

If the councils contractors cause any damage or leaks then they will put this right.

You can't call a halt as the work is not on your property. In any case if your house is ex-council there may well be something in your deeds to require you to co-operate with this type of work.

Were you given the opportunity of having your roof done too? It must be of the same age (if not previously retiled) and you should get a cheaper quote than if you get some other roofers to do it. This will also get rid of that horrible joint which they will be fitting

What exactly is causing you grief? The neighbour wants to re-roof and to avoid difficulty will make the joint between old and new tiles well onto their side. How is this going to cause you any problem?

Sponsored Links
Someone`s whinging Lord.........cum by arr :eek: :LOL:

how the **** can come by arr be autocensored...it`s a bleedin hymn :eek:

Speeling migtak, Nig?

"Kumbiya" i thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back