Party Wall advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We have recently moved into a property - sold through probate - which has a few weird and wonderful building designs.

One of which has our extension downstairs attached to the garage of our next door neighbours through the roof felting ( i think to prevent water falling down between the two)

Now, next door also has new owners (as of last week) and one of the first things they plan to do is to knock said garage down to make way for a downstairs extension themselves.

I am yet to get into the ins and outs of it with them, but there will undoubtedly be an impact on our roof, and would like to understand our legal position on this - who ultimately is responsible for repairing any damage caused?

Theoretically the garage is a free standing structure, so they are entitled to remove at their will - but as a consequence our extension roof will be impacted.

Clearly I want to avoid a fall out with our new neighbours, particularly so early on - but feel like I need to know where we stand just in case they take a different stance on this.

We've had a brief conversation about the work they are doing, but not recognised the impact it will have, and not discussed a Party Wall Agreement or anything like that. I'm reluctant to lead on that, as it could sound a bit heavy handed, but not sure on the best approach?

Photos below - any advice greatly received!
Steve

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/sg...69939236105376

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/sg...98417696229631

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ha - good point.

The picture is taken from my garden - the building closest is my extension (with the window).

Building the other side of the hedge is their garage.

Cheers...

That does not seem like a party wall and the PW Act may not apply anyway

That bit of felt is over the boundary so its not clear which owner installed it

I would expect the neighbour to make the wal or roof edge good though if he removes that felt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back