party wall advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im about to build a small extension at the rear of a terraced property .The neighbours either side have already built 3 metre deep single storey . extensions
Im intending to build my single storey extension between theirs .My question is can i use the party walls as my walls .they are on the boundary of my property .The neighbours dont mind me doing this ,but im not sure if they are up to modern spec .ie 1 metre deep foundations .
Are council inspectors likely to raise this as an issue ,or will it be the case that as these are existing walls they will be deemed suitable for the new build.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by built "on the boundary". Either the walls are built up to the boundary or astride it. Either way, if the neighbours agree the walls can become party walls by enclosure or are already party walls. Probably worth getting written permission for the former though to be on the safe side.

Main issue I can see is getting the existing walls to comply with sound transmission as they will change from external walls to separating walls. You'll probably need acoustic drylining on your side of wall to upgrade, and possibly something at roof level for sound transmission and fire resistance.

As you said the walls will need to be structurally adequate but not necessarily full depth foundations and you will need to demonstrate how you will weatherproof the junction between the new and existing roof. Overall should be relatively straight forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back