Pass It On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was once driving down a country road when I ran out of petrol due to faulty gauge (that's my excuse anyway.)

Coasted downhill to a pub, early doors about 6pm, went in and asked if they had any petrol or if someone could give me a lift to a garage.

Guy at the bar in his 50's said he had a can in his car so we went out into the carpark. Nice car, big jag or something, anyway he had a cool circular fuel can that sat inside the spare wheel.

Emptied it into my tank and tried to give him some dosh. Dont worry about it, he said, pass it on. What do you mean ? I said. He said next time someone needs some fuel or whatever, if you can help out then give them the fuel I gave to you and ask them to pass it on to the next person.

I have 'passed it on' several times since then and always gave a thought to the guy who helped me out.

Sponsored Links
It's a nice thought knowing that there is still plenty of good natured people in the world today,

petewood said:
I was once driving down a country road when I ran out of petrol due to faulty gauge (that's my excuse anyway.)

Coasted downhill to a pub, early doors about 6pm, went in and asked if they had any petrol or if someone could give me a lift to a garage.

Guy at the bar in his 50's said he had a can in his car so we went out into the carpark. Nice car, big jag or something, anyway he had a cool circular fuel can that sat inside the spare wheel.

Emptied it into my tank and tried to give him some dosh. Dont worry about it, he said, pass it on. What do you mean ? I said. He said next time someone needs some fuel or whatever, if you can help out then give them the fuel I gave to you and ask them to pass it on to the next person.

I have 'passed it on' several times since then and always gave a thought to the guy who helped me out.

Can you tell me where u live, so I can run out of petrol outside you house 3 times a week. :D ;)

Sponsored Links
The film's called 'Pay It Forward' with Kevin Spacey and that boy out of Sixth Sense - I saw it on a plane once and shortly afterwards, i was out driving during the first rain after a particularly sunny spell, and span my car off the road into a ditch.

A woman came by and phoned her husband, a local farmer, who then came out with his tractor and Kosovan strawberry picker and pulled me out. I decided to buy the farmer a bottle of wine in thanks but, remembering the film, decided to try to be more diligent about putting the 'Pay it Forward' principle into effect.

This was on a Friday - The very next Monday I cam across a young couple who had run out of petrol on a roundabout. I made sure I was particularly attentive with helping push the car out of the way and then driving them to get petrol too. At the end of it, I explained about the film, skid, tractor etc. and they seemed to buy into the idea.

One word of warning though - this probably works best if you don't live in the South East - Random acts of kindness are treated with more suspicion down there.......

try that Bullsh*t

around our area an you will get your face cut off an eaten ..

kindness =weakness in lots of rough areas

Moz said:
try that Bullsh*t

around our area an you will get your face cut off an eaten ..

kindness =weakness in lots of rough areas

Fair enough, glad I live in the civilised world then.

Sponsored Links
Back