Untaxed and No MoT - not a priority for the Police?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I drop in on an old couple from time to time to see how they are doing and check in on them. When I was young they used to babysit me.

Anyway they told me that someone has parked a car on the road in front of their house and it's one of the tenants who lives across the road. Now the couple is elderly and everyone kind of respects them by leaving space to in front of their home.

So I went and asked the guy if he could park his car elsewhere and he said ok not a problem. I thought that was enough.

I came back the next week and lo and behold the car was in the exact spot and then as I was about to go ask him again to move it another resident said he has a few cars parked up and down the street.

So I thought I would ask him again but his wife was a bit nonplussed as he wasn't home. So I thought I might as well check the car status out and the car MOT and Road Tax has run out since June 2017. The car is insured.

Now I know there is an online form and you can call up the DVLA but from reading online it seems its not really a big concern for the Police - they are more interested in those without insurance.

So any suggestions on what I should do?

Sponsored Links
Is he a part time trader? You can promise to dob him in to HMRC etc if he doesn't show some consideration

If the MOT and tax has run out and it is parked on the road it is illegally parked.
It either has to be taxed and MOT'd or SORNED and taken off the road onto private property, (not a public car park).
Situated where it is the police have the power to have it removed to a compound. The insurance will more than likely refuse to pay out if it is damaged by a third party or even cancel the policy should they find out it is not taxed & MOT'd.

Sponsored Links
Do either of the elderly couple drive and have a blue badge? If so they may be able to apply for a disabled parking bay to be put in front of their house. Then they could leave it clear!

But no, I wouldn't report the car. The chap will get a fine for no road tax in the post anyway and he may start thinking your friends are making the complaints, not you. I don't normally say to be wary, but you're not there often enough to help them if the neighbour gets ****ty. Oh and of course, Conny is right - no MOT means the insurance is invalid. The car is not insured without it.

Now I know there is an online form and you can call up the DVLA but from reading online it seems its not really a big concern for the Police - they are more interested in those without insurance.
Also probably more interested in the driver doing 33 in a 30 limit. Easy targets,, although I'd have thought a car without MOT and Tax , parked at the side of the road was an exceedingly easier target.

Firstly, no MOT definately does not make the insurance invalid. Not allowed to do that under the law. Just think, he's insured, no mot, hits a pedestrian and puts them in a wheelchair for life. Or even someone steals the car and does the same damage. Insurance companies are not allowed to wriggle out of paying out to third parties because of the lack of an MOT. They MAY refuse to pay out to the owners vehicle, but not a third party so no MOT does not invalidate the insurance.

If the owner is a trader, it costs him nothing extra to add that car onto his traders insurance policy.

Road tax. Quite simply, not allowed to be on the road but Police being lazy or busy don't normally get involved unless they have to. Make them get involved by emailing the commissioner of Police for your area. Tell him you are writing on behalf of your neighbours and that no action has been taken. Now, this is what you must do to get results - Tell the Police commissioner that you and some if your irate neighbours WILL be calling in to his office 'some time next week' and you will be wanting to discuss the lack of action with him/her. Don't ask, (because they will refuse) just say that you WILL be coming. They don't want you and your neighbours turning up unannounced and I GUARANTEE they will assign a flunky to deal with your problem before 'some time next week'.

Try it, I do that all the time. It works. I don't even waste my time with the lower ranks nowadays! What happens where I am is that the Police get the local council to remove the car.

Notify the local council that there is an un-taxed car parked on the public highway. Some councils are very pro-active in geting them removed. You maybe lucky and have pro-active council.

Firstly, no MOT definately does not make the insurance invalid. Not allowed to do that under the law. Just think, he's insured, no mot, hits a pedestrian and puts them in a wheelchair for life. Or even someone steals the car and does the same damage. Insurance companies are not allowed to wriggle out of paying out to third parties because of the lack of an MOT. They MAY refuse to pay out to the owners vehicle, but not a third party so no MOT does not invalidate the insurance.

If the owner is a trader, it costs him nothing extra to add that car onto his traders insurance policy.

Road tax. Quite simply, not allowed to be on the road but Police being lazy or busy don't normally get involved unless they have to. Make them get involved by emailing the commissioner of Police for your area. Tell him you are writing on behalf of your neighbours and that no action has been taken. Now, this is what you must do to get results - Tell the Police commissioner that you and some if your irate neighbours WILL be calling in to his office 'some time next week' and you will be wanting to discuss the lack of action with him/her. Don't ask, (because they will refuse) just say that you WILL be coming. They don't want you and your neighbours turning up unannounced and I GUARANTEE they will assign a flunky to deal with your problem before 'some time next week'.

Try it, I do that all the time. It works. I don't even waste my time with the lower ranks nowadays! What happens where I am is that the Police get the local council to remove the car.

Some good points. I don't live on the street and my biggest concern is if he intimidates the elderly couple or someone else.

I see your point but if they give it a while without saying anything and then take the action I suggested, he's hardly likely to know the complaint came from them. As far as he will know, the Police/Council are having a crackdown on untaxed cars. ;)

I see your point but if they give it a while without saying anything and then take the action I suggested, he's hardly likely to know the complaint came from them. As far as he will know, the Police/Council are having a crackdown on untaxed cars. ;)

I think is the most sensible option. I will try ask him once more and then after that give it a few weeks and then try the letter option. Slow and Steady wins the day methinks.

he's hardly likely to know the complaint came from them.

But people jump to conclusions. I was walking down my street with my missus and we were laughing about a joke I had just told.

There was a couple on the other side of the road, the lady was overweight. As we were laughing, her other half ran across the road and starting laying into me.

After a few punches were exchanged, I asked what the hell was going on.

"You were making fun of my wife...." he says. WTF?

But people jump to conclusions. I was walking down my street with my missus and we were laughing about a joke I had just told.

There was a couple on the other side of the road, the lady was overweight. As we were laughing, her other half ran across the road and starting laying into me.

After a few punches were exchanged, I asked what the hell was going on.

"You were making fun of my wife...." he says. WTF?

I had exactly the same thing happen to me in Homebase! The woman accused me of being 'Fattist'. I told her "Look in that mirror over there love, I think you'll find that you're the fattest"..........

The car has been moved. Will go for a walk to see where it has moved to. It doesn't mean it won't be back but the car is still without MOT or Road Tax but is insured.

Sponsored Links
Back