When police cars speed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...should they have a siren/flashing light to warn other road users?

The reason I ask is, coming home the other week at midnight on a 70mph dual carriageway another car raced up behind me doing what looked like 90+.

We both then slowed down for the 50mph safety area, he slowed down to 60 ish then braked harder as we came up to the speed camera.

It was at that point I noticed that is was a police car, he slowed to 50 for the camera then shot off again.

I would have thought that if a police car is speeding it should have it's hazards flashing to warn other road users?

Sponsored Links
Maybe not on a shout, just late for something.

I saw a copper coming out of a chippie with a big bag of grub, 2 mins later a police car overtook me lights and siren on heading towards the town centre where the local nick is. now I couldn't swear 100% it was the same guy but......... :LOL: :LOL:

"he slowed to 50 for the camera"

I think this is a clue he did not have a valid excuse.

Sponsored Links
no they dont have to have any warning equipment on, for valid reasons, however they have to take account of this in the driving and the risk involved. eg so as not to alert an offender of their approach

So what's the take on the fuzz using the flashing lights to get back to the station quicker so they can eat their chips while they're still warm?

Careful, you will have joe-90 after you, as you are taking the **** out of an identifiable minority.................... :LOL:

Just to put things right, to be able to go faster than the speed limit the police cars have to have there blue lights activated, and the sirens flashing. I fth ecar is unmarked and dows not have any emergency equipment ie lights and sirens, then they cant speed. Some unmarked cars do have hodden lights within the bumpers and grills which light up when activated. To be fair to the cops they are entitled to food breaks and if a call comes in when they have just bought food then they have to go to it. Sometimes they might get cancelled before getting thereso turn off their sirens and lights.

So what about en-route to a burglary in progress call? They blaze up to the property sirens and lights, crim will have heard them a mile off and scarpered.

I have seen them on road wars speeding to a house without sirens going (for above reason), but they might have had lights on, being filmed from within the car you cant tell.

I know what you mean about going to burglaries etc without alerting the bad guys, but to be absolutley legal the sirens should be on as well as the lights.

I fth ecar is unmarked and dows not have any emergency equipment ie lights and sirens, then they cant speed. Some unmarked cars do have hodden lights within the bumpers and grills which light up when activated.
Did you ever have a job as a policeman in Allo Allo?

alloallo.jpg

Robbie UK Wrote:
Just to put things right, to be able to go faster than the speed limit the police cars have to have there blue lights activated, and the sirens flashing. I fth ecar is unmarked and dows not have any emergency equipment ie lights and sirens, then they cant speed. Some unmarked cars do have hodden lights within the bumpers and grills which light up when activated. To be fair to the cops they are entitled to food breaks and if a call comes in when they have just bought food then they have to go to it. Sometimes they might get cancelled before getting thereso turn off their sirens and lights.
This is not correct in all instances.

Police may exceed the speed limits in either marked or unmarked vehicles without any visual or audible warning if they have been given authority to do so and the pursuit has been logged on the CAD system.

This concession is normally only used in exceptional circumstances though for covert reasons and, in the main, if you see police breaking the speed limit without lights and/or sirens they are risking disciplinary action.

MW

..hence slowing down past the camera to avoid being caught

Sponsored Links
Back