NO MOT PENALTY FINE - COULD THIS BE INVALID ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son who is a named driver on my car was driving home today and stopped by the police. He wasnt speeding or going through a red light, but quite wrongly the car had no MOT. This totally surprised me and I cannot believe it ran out last Sept. this has never happened before in my life (must be old age) I had genuinely forgotten. I hold my hands up its my fault and so I will have to pay the fine. But what surprised me was that he was then allowed to get back in with passengers, and drive home. Surely they (the police) knew that had there been an accident not having an MOT would totally invalidate the insurance, and this in itself would be a crime. So could this make the penalty invalid as the officer should not have allowed him to drive home. By the way the car is straight in for its MOT in the morning but this just puzzled me.
Has anyone else been in this situation.
Just a change from DIY.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
If the 'processing' of the paperwork is correct then the fact that your son was allowed to 'go on his way', has no baring on the initial penalty. Police Officers get things wrong. It's a fact. If the officer has also processed the paperwork incorrectly then any decent solicitor will 'get him off'.

I know we all can make mistakes. I did. But it just surprised me how he allowed to drive home with no mot plus no insurance, as having no MOT makes the insurance invalid.

Keep ya pinkys crossed he's screwed up the paper work as well! :D

Sponsored Links
Just to say, your not on your own.

I forgot my MOT for 6+ months last year. :oops:

Can bet your life the coppers checked it over.
If it had anything that looked slightly iffy in there eyes, it wouldn't have been allowed to be moved (except on a transporter).
If it looks straight, and they can see its just a case of "I forgot" then they'll let it go on.
As for insurance, it's not automatically invalid, (the mot document states that the insurance *may* be invalid) but any insurance company who needed to pay out for something would use the "no valid MOT" to worm their way out of things.
Whats the fine now? £30?

I know we all can make mistakes. I did. But it just surprised me how he allowed to drive home with no mot plus no insurance, as having no MOT makes the insurance invalid.
The alternative would have to have had the car impounded, this would then incur a retrieval fee of approx £115 plus £12.50 each day the car is stored, it could be a no MOT fine, might be cheaper?
I would consider that before making the situation worse.

Wotan

i don't think that no MOT invalidates your insurance, it certainly invalidates your road tax though..

you'd think that in this day and age, with the MOT's all being digital, that they'd be able to send out reminders the month before your MOT runs out..

i don't think that no MOT invalidates your insurance, it certainly invalidates your road tax though..

you'd think that in this day and age, with the MOT's all being digital, that they'd be able to send out reminders the month before your MOT runs out..
Why should they? the onus is on the keeper of the vehicle to make sure all documentation is up to date.
The garage where the car is MOT'd usually sends out a reminder, mine does anyway.

Wotan

AFAIK current MOT certs also contain a sticker that you an put on the sun blind etc.

I have now started sticking them there :D

Why should they? the onus is on the keeper of the vehicle to make sure all documentation is up to date.
The garage where the car is MOT'd usually sends out a reminder, mine does anyway.

Wotan

it's a legal requirement, you need it to get the road tax, it's a government thing..
they remind you to get your road tax, so why not your MOT?

Its a legal requirement to tax, MOT and ensure you have at least third party insurance before taking a vehicle on the public highway.
If your MOT expires the insurance company is quite within their right to invalidate your policy for the duration of the expired period. However, they do not have to give you a refund of premium for that period.
Your road tax is a totally seperate issue and whilst you need a valid MOT certificate and minimum insurance cover to purchase your tax disc not having one or both of these does not invalidate your 'road fund licence' to give it the proper name.

As quoted to me by my daughter who works for a major car insurance company.

You could argue the case but all the officer has to do is say he used his judgement that the car seemed in a roadworthy condition and he had seen no indication of your son driving in a reckless manner so gave him a warning to drive the car home safely and get it inspected at the nearest opportunity. That kind of statement well may just swing it in favour of the officer.

Sponsored Links
Back